Nothing But A Number - Saida

"Sweetheart, wake up." Dahyun heard her Dad from the doorway. She cracked an eye open and saw Yunho, his head poking inside her bedroom. It was only eight in the morning on a Saturday, which was unusually late for Dahyun to still be in bed, but she had a long night last night. "Our new neighbour is here, and your Mom wants to meet her."

Dahyun had been hearing about this elusive neighbour of theirs for weeks now, ever since the Kang moved away to move to Incheon. From the real estate gossip Dahyun heard at work, their new neighbour was a woman who would be living alone, which was apparently a bizarre thing for their mindset. Still, that didn't mean that they would shun this woman just because she had no two point five kids or a husband.

Rolling out of bed, Dahyun tugged on a pair of jeans over her boxers. Her morning wood was being its normal, attention-seeking self, but she had no time to take care of it. She just hoped that her jeans would hide the bulge, and that she could find a sweater big enough to hide it, if her pants failed. Dahyun brushed her teeth, pulled on her socks, and ran downstairs where her parents were waiting with a thermos full of coffee and a box of donuts. Upon seeing Dahyun, they beamed and headed out the door to cross over to the next door.

The moving vans were long gone, and Dahyun had no idea if their new neighbour would mind the Kim's' eager welcome, but as the doorbell rang, Dahyun found herself being excited. They haven't had a new neighbour in years, since usually those who were born in Busan stayed in Busan. Except for her, of course. She planned to be in Seoul someday.

The soft pattering of footsteps could be heard, and the door swung open. A tall blonde, her hair curtaining her elegant features. Dressed in a floral print dress, a simple white hair clip keeping her locks in place. A look of pleasant surprise in her eyes. "Oh, hello! You must be my neighbours?"

Her Mom smiled. "We're the Kim's, from 128." He said. "This is my husband, Yunho. And our daughter, Dahyun."

If this new neighbour was surprised regarding an energetic neighbor, she didn't show it. "I'm Minatozaki Sana. Would you like to come in?"

The Kim's nodded and they stepped inside the house. It had the same layout and floor plan as their home, but Sana's furniture was sparse and minimalistic. A black leather couch, with a matching coffee table made up the living room. And as they entered the kitchen slash dining area, the hallway leading up to it had framed photographs not of people, but of scenery and a shiba inu. Not a single photograph of Sana and her family could be seen.

She led the Kim's to the kitchen and they sat on the breakfast island while she took out mugs and small plates for the donuts. "It's so nice of you to come by today." Sana said. "I was just wondering what to do for breakfast."

Dahyun smiled at that as she fixed up her coffee just the way she liked it: two sugars and a teensy bit of cream. She took a honey crueller from the box and gave it a nibble while her parents told her about the neighbourhood, before working on getting to know this Minatozaki Sana. "So, Sana. What do you do?"

"I'm a writer and a photographer." Sana said as she swallowed down a bite from her maple glaze donut. "I used to live in Osaka, but that place is too busy, too hectic for me." She shrugged. "I move around a lot, whenever I want. And for the moment, I think a few years in calm Busan would do me some good. Might even help me with my writing."

Dahyun watched Sana for a few moments. She couldn't be more than thirty years old, and already, she seemed so successful with her artistic freedom and casual energy. She could hold a conversation with her parents regarding the economy, and with her Mom about their shared views on recycling policies. Dahyun found herself being attracted to Sana's intelligence, the manner in which she spoke, and her maturity.