Chapter 35- Light

The narrow corridor was silent.

Behind them was the six-sided mirror room with the silver ammonia-leaf butterflies, and in front of them at the other end of the corridor was a dim white light.

Wu Jin let out a long sigh of relief.

People always yearned for light--compared to sniping blindly in the dark, it was always better to have some light than no light.

The two of them stood at the door to the next room and found the first clue card without incident:

"You have fascinating eyes."

Wu Jin lowered his head to think and was taken by surprise when Caesar patted him on the shoulder, "Isn't this talking about our Little Witch?!"

Wu Jin stared at him with rounded eyes: "......"

Caesar nodded. "See, just like that."

Wu Jin let out a pitiful squeak. He even began to wonder if Zoe had deliberately split them up into smaller groups so that he could get rid of Caesar...

He took a deep breath and watched as Caesar slowly opened the door.

The lighting in this room was concentrated on the other three walls, and the light source was orange and dim. The floor of the room under their feet was covered in soft, brick-red soil, and they were surrounded by a dense row of trees--based on the support database that Wu Jin had memorized, these characteristics were clearly associated with a rainforest environment.

Compared with the simple and basic mirrors in the previous instance, it was obvious that more attention had been paid to the design of the room in this one.

Wu Jin narrowed his eyes slightly. He could even hear the low chirping of insects carried on the damp breeze--fortunately, there was no sound of butterfly wings fluttering.

He gestured to Caesar, and the two of them raised their guns vigilantly, ready to withdraw through the door at any time, but nothing happened even though they waited for a long time.

The 'door' that signaled the completion of this instance was obviously in one of the other three directions.

"Could it be a freebie instance?" Caesar was doubtful, "Generally, there are safe zones in competitions--"

Wu Jin shook his head. "A safe zone wouldn't be designed like this. The program group would generally... save money wherever they can. There are 297 people left."

On their watch, it showed that a third of the contestants had been eliminated in the short time it took for them to finish a single instance. The difficulty level of this round was obviously much, much higher than the first elimination match.

Caesar looked away from his watch and stared straight ahead, "Little Witch, how could there be an owl there..."

Wu Jin looked up and saw that Caesar was looking in the direction of one of the doors. Among the green foliage, it seemed that there was really a tawny owl perched in the tree--

He stilled abruptly.

The owl's eyes were uneven, dark and penetrating, and seemed to flicker with a faint blue light. Other than those two eyes, there were countless other similar pairs of eyes everywhere...

"It's not an owl." Wu Jin felt his scalp go numb as he quickly said, "They're eyespots."

Caesar: "What?"

Wu Jin explained, "Mimicry. A moth's wing pattern--might contain eyespots, which simulate the eyes of an animal and are used to scare off predators." He paused slightly, "It's not an owl. There are moths lying on the door, a lot of them."