Forever and For Always - Pt. 2 Traveling Solider - Steve Rogers

It had been 6 months since I had gotten Steve's letter. It was hard seeing service men come home to their families. Even though I was happy for them, my wounds were still fresh and hard. I never got a goodbye, a first or final I love you, I never got anything with him. I got his mother's wedding band that I wore on my ring finger on my left hand and his dog tags I constantly wore around my neck. I sighed seeing another service man come in the cafe. I looked at the waitress I was working with.

"I need a minute." I said and she sighed.

"You okay?" Betsy, the waitress asked.

"Just need some fresh air, I'll be outside in the alley." I said and she nodded. I walked out the back door and leaned against the wall. I clutched the dog tags in my hand.

"Steve....this is too hard, I need you here. I keep thinking you will be one of the service men to walk through that door and every time I'm let down remembering it can't be you." I say out loud and I close my eyes fighting to find the imagine I have of Steve in my head. I find it and smile as some tears fall down my face. As I stood there silently crying the door opened.

"Hey, I know you needed a break but Betsy is getting slammed." Billy my boss said poking his head out and he saw I was crying and holding the dog tags.

"You know he may not be dead. Maybe just MIA or something." Billy said and I shook my head.

"I would feel him if he was alive, we felt like we were connected." I said and Billy sighed. I wiped away my tears and headed inside helping Betsy deliver all her orders. Once the last one came up Betsy pointed to a table.

"Can you get his order while I deliver these?" Betsy asked and I sighed seeing a guy sitting with his back to us. I could tell he was in an Army uniform.

"Betsy he is a service guy." I said and she sighed.

"You have gotten bite the bullet Ginny." She said and groaned.

"Please don't call me that. One guy did and it hurts hearing it." I said and he looked at Billy.

"Fine, I got it." I said and pulled out my pad. Looking at it as I approached the table thinking it would be easier to not look at the guy.

"What can I get ya?" I asked.

"Well I was hoping for a welcome home from the best girl in town hoping she forgives me for being gone." I heard the voice say and I closed my eyes as they filled up with tears. "Ginny...open your eyes and look at me."

"No, you aren't really here, you can't be." I said. He huffed a laugh.

"Ginny....please. I need to see those beautiful eyes of yours." I opened my eyes slowly and looked at the man sitting at the table. He stood up when I opened my eyes. "I'm home love." Steve said and I jumped in his arms wrapping by arms around his neck and he grabbed me and held on lifting me from the ground.

"Where have you been?" I asked as we released and he cupped his face using his thumb to wipe away my falling tears. I noticed some differences and he could see it on my face.

"We have a lot to discuss. When do you get off?" Steve asked and I looked at the clock.

"In an hour. Can you stick around?" I asked him and he chuckled remembering the first time I said that to him.

"I'll wait forever Ginny." Steve said and I walked away giving him a wink.

 ❤ 🤍 💙

Once I got off work I walked over to Steve table and held out my hand.

"Ready to go Captain Rogers?" I asked and he smiled.