She Didn't Have Time - Steve Rogers

I stood holding my five-year daughter's hand as her father looked at me and shook his head from his car door.

"I just can't Jolie, I'm sorry. I wasn't cut out for this." My fiancé and my daughters father Kyle said as he got in his car and I sighed watching him leave. I looked down at my daughter Gemma and smiled at her as she looked up at me with sad eyes.

"Hey, why don't we go inside and play the piano a little bit huh?" I asked and smiled and we rushed inside. I needed to keep her occupied so she didn't ask many questions. I didn't know how I was going to explain this to her. Her father, the man I loved had found some else and realized he wasn't cut out to be a father and wanted his life kid free.

"Mama?" Gemma asked me as I sat at the piano and she sat beside me.

"Yeah Gem?" I asked and she fiddled with a piano key.

"Did daddy not love me?" She asked and I sighed and just hugged her.

"Daddy loves you, of course he does sweetie. He just needed to go out for a while." I said.

"Will he be back?" Gemma asked.

"I don't know sweetie." I said and I kissed her cheek.

"But hey you got me and I got you and that's all we need right?" I asked and she nodded.

"How about I play and you dance your ballet routine for me?" I questioned and she groaned.

"Mama..." She groaned.

"You need practice." I said and she groaned and I played the song and she started dancing her routine from her dance class.

 🔵 🔵 🔵 

I was sitting at the counter filling out some charts of patients when another nurse walked up to me.

"I have this great guy for you to meet." Gena said and I groaned.

"I'm not ready Gee." I said and she groaned

"Come on! It's been 3 months, he isn't coming back." Gee said and I groaned.

"I know he isn't but I also have a 5-year-old at home to take care and provide for I don't need to bring another man into her life. She finally stopped asking about Kyle." I said and went to walk away.

"At least do me a favor..." Gee said and I groaned.

"What Gee?" I asked and she smiled.

"Let me take Gemma this weekend. I will watch her Saturday night and you can go out and just have a day for you. You need to take care of yourself too." Gee said.
"And what would I do?" I asked.

"I don't know, get your hair done, your nails done, get a massage, go shopping for yourself. Have a for you day damnit." Gee said and we laughed.

"I know she would love some Auntie Gee time...." I said and she smiled.

"Fine then I will come and pick her up Saturday morning. Giving you plenty of time on Saturday and I'm keeping her all-day Sunday." Gee said and I hugged my friend with tears in my eyes.

"Thank you Gee. Don't know what I would do without you." I said and she sighed as we hugged.

"What about meeting that guy now...." Gee said as we broke apart.

"One thing at a time Gee." I said and she laughed. I walked away and went to check on more patients.

🔵 🔵 🔵 🔵 🔵

Gee had come and picked up Gemma and I was kid free now. I just sat in my car looking at the mall and I groaned. I didn't want to be here but I knew I needed time out of the house and out by myself without Gemma. I loved her to death but I did know I needed some me time that wasn't just at night in my room which I spent crying not knowing how I was doing being a single parent. I sighed and walked into the mall and did some major shopping even bought Gemma some things I couldn't pass up. As I was running the bags to the car to get going to get me some dinner I loaded my bags in the trunk and walked around to the driver's side of the car.