Is It Just Me? - Chris Evans

I was sitting in the dressing room getting my make up touched up from crying again for the 3rd time since I have been sitting backstage at Jimmy Fallon. I knew he was here and I didn't want to see him but he was on his way to my dressing room. There was a knock on the door and my stomach dropped.

"Come in." My voice said cracking. The door opened and there he was standing there, staring at me with a small smile.

"Chris..." I said and he walked over and placed a small kiss on my lips and all the make-up artist smiled.

"We will give you two a minute." The lead lady said and they walked out. Once the door was closed and groaned.

"I can't do this anymore. I can't pretend anymore." I said and he sighed.

"After tonight we can make a statement in a couple days. I just have to get through this press tour and premiere." Chris said and I groaned.

"Yet my feelings have to be dragged through the ringer for you? For your press tour? For your premiere? Chris, this is too much. I can't take it anymore." I said and Chris groaned.

"Peyton, come on. A few more days." Chris said and I started crying again. He came over and wrapped his arms around me and I held on again knowing he was the only source of comfort I had even though he was causing the pain. There was another knock on the door.

"5 minutes guys." We heard someone say and I composed myself and I made sure my tears weren't visible. I stood up and Chris took my hand.

"Let's be the amazing couple we are." Chris said and I sighed and nodded. We walked out of the dressing room smiling and holding hands. We walked to the stage entrance and our mics were checked and made sure everything looked amazing.

"We got this." Chris whispered and I nodded. I took a deep breath to calm myself.

"Here they are, the most adorable couple in Hollywood Chris Evans and Peyton Morgan!" Jimmy Fallon announced as Chris and I walked out holding hands and smiling at the crowd. We greeted Jimmy then took our seats and held hands the whole entire time. Holding his hand just hurt so much and I went to let go and tried several times but whenever I did he would gently squeeze my hand.

"So you two have been dating now for how long?" Jimmy asked me after a minutes of talking to Chris.

"Uh...3 years." I said and people awed.

"Wedding bells anytime soon?" Jimmy asked and I smiled, I looked at Chris.

"That's a question for this guy right here." I said and Jimmy looked at Chris and he just shrugged.

"I may have a plan or two. Nothing set in stone." Chris said and I knew it was just a PR answer.

"So Peyton, we know Chris has been busy filming lately, what have you been up?" Jimmy asked and I smiled.

"I actually got some new music recorded and may have some dropping very soon." I said and Chris looked at me shocked but played it off really well.

"Can we get a preview of some if it tonight?" Jimmy asked and I smiled with a shrug.

"I hadn't really planned on singing tonight...." I trailed off and Jimmy looked at the crowd and smiled.

"Wouldn't we love to hear some of her new stuff?" Jimmy asked the audience and they cheered and I smiled and looked at Chris.

"This is mostly your interview for you to promote. You want me to perform?" I asked Chris and he smiled and leaned towards me.

"I would love for you to perform. I love hearing you sing." Chris said, I smiled as he leaned in and kissed me.

"Well then I guess I'm singing." I said causing Jimmy and the audience to clap and cheer.

"Alright we will get set up for that and be right back from this commercial break." Jimmy said and I groaned standing up.

"I need a piano if possible, the song I want to sing I can play." I said and Chris smiled.

"Playing and singing. Wow, we are getting a real treat." Chris said and I smiled. My manager came out as they set up the grand piano and mic.

"What are you singing?" She asked and I shook my head.

"Don't worry about it." I said and walked past her to the piano. As I played some keys Chris came over.

"Good luck." He whispered in my ear causing goosebumps.

"Thanks." I said and smiled at him.

"Coming back in 5, 4, 3...." I heard the producer yell.

"Okay we asked and she is going to deliver. Chris and I are excited for this! Singing a new song is Peyton Morgan!" Jimmy announced. I took a deep breath and started playing the piano.

🎵It's been way too long for me to find it this hard
Sitting alone, my fingers picking the sofa apart
In attempt to distract from the fact that I miss you

I wonder if your friends have had to carry you home
And stay for the night because they don't want to leave you alone
Way before it was fun, it's becoming an issue

I know it's cruel
But I kind of hope you're tortured too

Tell me does your heart stop
At the party, when my name drops?
Like you're stood at the platform when the trains cross
Are you hurting? Yeah, you must be
Or is it just me?

Tongue-tied, screaming on the inside
When I say that we broke up and they ask why
Are you crying in the shower like a freak?
Or is it just me?

I heard a rumor you've been spending some time
With that blonde girl you work with and I know she's exactly your type
And my miserable mind's running wild with the picture

Or are you there by yourself, dialing, redialing my number?
And I'm calling your mother, spilling tears on my jumper again
The way I am

I know it's cruel
But I kind of hope you're tortured too

Tell me does your heart stop
At the party, when my name drops?
Like you're stood at the platform when the trains cross
Are you hurting? Yeah, you must be
Or is it just me?

Tongue-tied, screaming on the inside
When I say that we broke up and they ask why
Are you crying in the shower like a freak?
Or is it just me?

Cause this would be one whole lot easier
God, I know that's selfish but it's true
If underneath some calm exterior
You're all messed up too

Tell me does your heart stop
At the party, when my name drops?
Like you're stood at the platform when the trains cross
Are you hurting? Yeah, you must be
Or is it just me?

Tongue-tied, screaming on the inside
When I say that we broke up and they ask why
Are you crying in the shower like a freak
With only cigarettes for company?
Are you crying in the shower like a freak
Or is it just me?🎵

Once the song was over I was in tears and barely made it through the whole song. The audience was in stunned silene knowing what this meant. Jimmy and Chris walked over and Chris was looking at the floor and Jimmy knew something was up.

"We'll be right back after this." Jimmy said and once they were on an unscheduled commercial break I started balling my eyes out and Chris had tears too.

"Are you two together?" Jimmy asked and I shook my head.

"I need to go." I said and stood up from the piano bench and looked at Chris.

"Good luck with the premiere." I said and rushed off stage.