In A Snap - Steve Rogers

"He's back

"He's back." My co-worker and best friend Mila said as the bell above the door in our coffee shop rang indicating a customer walking in. I looked up and smiled seeing him walk to the counter.

"Captain Rogers." I said and he just dipped his head.

"It's just Steve, Trinity." He said and I smiled with a shrug.

"Old habits, I guess." I said and he half nodded. "Regular?" I asked and he nodded. I poured him a large coffee and a small one for myself. "Mila, I'm on break." I said and she nodded. Steve and I walked to one of the back tables in the coffee shop. I handed Steve his coffee.

"You know you could always just come to group." Steve said and I looked down at my cup and shook my head.

"No, I don't think I can." I said and he sighed.

"Why do you feel that way?" Steve asked.

"I don't know I just feel like maybe those people lost more than I have." I said and Steve shook his head.

"Everybody who lost someone is allowed to come Trin. You lost your parents and sister...the ones you love. It's a support group on how to move on. You can come." Steve said.

"But then I wouldn't get my one-on-one counseling with you." I said with a smirk, and I swore I saw him blush.

"Well just know the group is always open for you to come." Steve said and I nodded. We were silent for a few minutes and then I sighed.

"Do you know I was going over the bridge the other day and I saw a pod of whales swimming in the Hudson." I said and Steve looked at me amazed.

"In the Hudson? Not something I thought would ever happen." Steve said and I sighed.

"Yeah well, less boats, less population, cleaner water." I said and Steve half nodded. He looked at his watch and sighed.

"Have somewhere you need to be?" I asked and he nodded.

"I do actually. Listen, please really think about coming to group next week." Steve said and I nodded.

"Will it make you happy if I say I'll think about it?" I asked and he nodded.

"It will but should I just plan on coming and getting a coffee next week?" Steve asked as we both laughed.

"Probably." I said and he nodded.

"Thanks for the coffee, Trinity." Steve went to pay me, and I shook my head.

"On the house." I said and he smiled.

"See you next week." Steve said and walked out. I just watched him leave and sighed.

***STEVE POV***

Trinity was going to be a tough one to get to trust me to come to group. She knew she wasn't the only one who lost something when Thanos snapped, we all lost something, but she was running a family business when it happened. She was baking cookies with her dad, and he was gone, her mom was running the register and her sister was in the dining area talking with some customers. She lost everyone, she only had her co-worker and friend Mila left.

I was driving to the compound, it was also time to go visit someone else who I knew needed a friend. I was driving over the Hudson and I stopped on the side of the bridge and looked over the water. I saw the pod of whales and smiled. Whales were some of the most calming creatures, they were a sign of hope, a hope for the new world.

I arrived at the compound and walked in. I heard sniffling and I leaned on a bookcase.

"I would offer to make you dinner, but you seem pretty miserable already." I said with a smirk and Nat looked up at me with the same smirk.

"You here to do your laundry?" Nat asked me.

"And to see a friend." I added.

"Clearly, your friend is fine." Nat answered calming down.

"You know I saw a pod of whales when I was coming over the bridge. Fewer ships, cleaner water." I said.

"You just stop and look for whales now?" Nat asked and I sighed shaking my head and going to sit across from her where she was sitting.

"No, someone told me about seeing them so I thought I would look as I passed over the bridge." I said and Nat smiled.

"Would that someone be the coffee shop girl that refuses to go to your therapy sessions?" Nat asked.

"Her name is Trinity." I said and Nat smiled.

"Did you finally ask her out?"

I sighed and hung my head.

"I can't do it Nat. She is broken. She has no one."

"So be her someone Steve. You have been sitting and talking with her for weeks after sessions, just ask her out." Nat said and I sighed.

"And if she rejects me?"

"Then she rejects you. In this world though...you have to take that leap. We all lost someone, and it hurts but we have to move on, we have to make the world ours." Nat said and I smiled at her.

"So, you do listen to me when I speak..." I trailed off and Nat smiled.

"I do." She said.

"What about you? I don't like that you're alone here." I said.

"If I move on, who stays and watches for a change, looks for a change?" Nat asked.

"What if there isn't one? This is life now Nat. I don't know if we can get it back to the way it was." I said.

"I know but before all of this I had nothing. What do I have now?" Nat asked.

"You have me, a friend." I said and Nat smiled. "And I think we both need to get a life." I added.

"You first, maybe with a cute barista." Nat said and I smirked at her.

***TRINITY POV***

I walked into my apartment the night after seeing Steve and sighed at the loneliness. Once the snap happened and everyone disappeared, I moved into the apartment above the coffee shop. I couldn't really afford my old place now since most of our customers were gone.

I grabbed a glass of wine and then sat by the window overlooking New York. It was so quiet now, not the New York I was raised in.

I sat with my book closed, sipping my wine thinking about Steve coming into the coffee shop. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. A lot of people blamed the Avengers for what happened, but I never did, they tried to stop it. There wasn't a way to fix this, and I knew that, I'm sure if there was, someone would have found a way. This was life now...5 years without anyone. It was time to move on. I needed to move on and get a life. Where to start?