Traveling Solider - Steve Rogers

*****1945*****

*****1945*****

I was working my shift at the local café. I saw a guy come walking in and he seemed nervous as he sat down.

"What can I get you?" I asked walking up to him and he looked at my name tag and smiled. I noticed he was his Army uniform, pretty common for guys recently.

"Just a coffee please." He said and I nodded. I went and got his coffee and then brought it to the table and he didn't even seem to noticed. I saw him resting his hands on the table and I gently placed mine on his.

"Your coffee." I said and he nodded.

"Thank you." He said and gave a small smile and I went to walk away.

"Virginia...?" He called after me.

"Yeah?" I asked stopping then walking back to the table.

"Would you mind if we just sat and talked, I'm pretty nervous and it's dead in here." He said and I smiled.

"Well I cant really sit while on the clock. I'm off in an hour, can you stick around?" I asked and he nodded and I smiled.

"I'm Steve by the way, Steve Rogers." He said and I smiled.

"Virginia Bowman." I said and he smiled. I walked away to do some work around the café hoping the hour passed quickly. I finally looked at the clock and realized it was time to go.

"I'm off Billy." I said to my boss and he nodded as I walked over to Steve's table and he smiled.

"I'm off." I said and he got out of the booth and we left. We went walking down to the park down the street and we just walked in silence.

"So Steve Rogers, when do you ship out?" I asked and he sighed.

"A few days. Special mission and I'm just nervous. I guess I just needed to get away from everything for a while." Steve said and I nodded.

"I can understand that. I have had a lot of people I know enlist and not come back so I understand what you are doing and going through." I said as I felt Steve reach down and take my hand as we walked and I smiled at him.

"So was there a boyfriend or someone special amongst these people you know that enlisted?" Steve asked and I gave a small laugh.

"No, no boyfriend, no fiancé, no one." I said and Steve said and he gave a small nod.

"Well how you would feel if I wrote you? I have no one left to send letters to. My parents are gone and my best friend is enlisted with me going on these missions." Steve said and I smiled with a nod.

"I would really like that Steve." I said as we stopped walking and sat on a bench. I took a piece of paper and pen from my small purse I carried and wrote out my address for him and he put it in his pocket once I gave it to him.