Feels Like Home - Nick Vaughan

I was getting off the train in the city early morning knowing I wanted to catch some breakfast before I had to get to rehearsals with my band at the jazz club

I was getting off the train in the city early morning knowing I wanted to catch some breakfast before I had to get to rehearsals with my band at the jazz club. As I got off the train at Grand Central Station, I saw the trumpet player from the band and my best friend for about 6 years Nick standing there looking unsure of what to do.

"Nick?" I asked and he looked up and saw me.

"Oh hey Maxie." Nick said and I looked at him confused.
"What's wrong? No offense but you look like shit." I said and he huffed a laugh as he extended his arm for me to link mine in his and we walked off the train platform.

"Well thanks..." Nick said with a huffed laugh and I smiled.

"You know I only meant it in the nicest way. I would never be rude on purpose." I said and he laughed.

"Just being the truthful friend right?" Nick asked and I nodded.

"Exactly." I said and Nick smiled.

"Well I haven't been to bed all night." Nick said and I looked at him oddly.

"I met a girl last night." Nick continued and I instantly felt my heart sink.

"Oh...who was she?" I asked trying to not sound upset.

"Brooke Dalton from Boston." Nick said and I sighed.

"Oh...so is it serious?" I asked and Nick huffed a laugh.

"Not in the slightest. She is married and on the way back to her husband." Nick said as we walked out of Grand Central.

"You want to get breakfast and tell me exactly what happened last night?" I asked and Nick sighed but nodded as we headed to a local diner near the train station. Once we walked in and got a table we ordered coffee since I knew Nick would need it.

"So you have been up all night?" I asked once we ordered food and Nick nodded.

"So last night when I walked you to the train station for you to get home, I ended up staying for awhile and just playing. You know I like just aimlessly playing and thinking. Well this girl came running through asking about the last train that just left that she had missed." Nick started off explaining and I nodded. He then proceeded to just on about the entire night adventure he had with this girl.

"So did you develop feelings for her?" I asked and Nick said as our food was delivered.

"You know, I think somewhere I did." Nick said and I half nodded and just looked down at my plate of food.

"Is she staying with her husband?" I asked and Nick nodded.

"Yeah, she is going back to Boston to try and make it work with him." Nick said.

"So why do you look so unhappy? I mean wasn't this always your goal, to get her home?" I asked and Nick shrugged but half nodded.

"Yeah that was endgame but...well...I guess I'm just wondering something." Nick said.