Sober - Steve Rogers

It happened, Thanos snapped, half the population as gone

It happened, Thanos snapped, half the population as gone. Steve said this would happen, I just didn't think he would be one of the ones to disappear from me. He had to be, he didn't come back after the fight, he promised me he would come back. We were starting our future when the Thanos threat appeared. We were going to get married, Steve was going to retire and we were going to have the life he deserved.

I was sitting in our apartment and sighed looking around. I hadn't changed anything in 3 months, I knew there was a chance Steve could still walk through the door. He could have just been working on finding out who was gone and what happened but I knew better. I had the feeling when the snap happened, part of my heart was broken.

I now just sit in the apartment day in and day out, just waiting for anything, any kind of news. I had been to the compound but it was empty. No one around to answer any questions. I was sitting down just looking at a picture of Steve and I in a frame on the coffee table when my apartment door opened. I heard the groan as they walked in, sitting next to me.

"You need to get out of the house today." My friend Emma said. She thankfully wasn't snapped but she was the only one of my friends and family that wasn't.

"It would have been today..." I said and she looked at the date and groaned.

"Shit...I didn't even think Hollis. God..." She said and wrapped her arms around me, hugging me.

"I was supposed to become Mrs. Steve Rogers today...he was going to fight this final fight, we get married then have the life. Move to a home, with a backyard for our future kids...all of it. Now what do I have...this apartment where everything started." I said. I smiled remembering how I met Steve.

***FLASHBACK***

I was sitting in my apartment when there was a knock on my door. I got up knowing I wasn't expecting anyone. I opened the door and was met with the ocean blue eyes of Captain America...not someone I was clearly expecting.

"Uh...hi." Steve said and I smiled trying not to look like a fool.

"Hi..." I said. I then noticed he was carrying a puppy.

"I'm going door to door to see if this little guy belongs to anyone in the building. He was outside on the steps when I walked by." Steve said and I smiled and petted the puppy.

"Hey Winston." I said and he perked up.

"So he's yours...?" Steve asked and I shook my head.

"No, but I know who he belongs to. Come with me." I said shutting my door and walking down the hall. I knocked on the door and a little girl about 6 answered with her mom behind her.

"WINSTON!" She yelled taking the puppy from Steve.

"Our friend here found him wondering outside." I said and the mom smiled at me as did Abagail, the little girl.

"Thank you Hollis, we didn't see him run out while getting groceries in." Martha, the mother said and I smiled.

"Steve deserves it all. He was going door to door. I just happened to know it was Winston he had." I said and looked down at Abagail. She walked over to Steve and wrapped her arms around his waist hugging him.

"Thank you Captain America." She said and we all smiled as Steve chuckled.

"Not a problem, he is cute so keep an eye on him." Steve said and she smiled as Marth pulled me close to her.

"And Steve Rogers is cute, you should keep an eye on him." She whispered in my ear. I blushed but gently nudged Martha.

"Alright, I'm leaving. Still on for movie night this weekend?" I asked Abagail and she nodded excitedly. Steve waved and we walked away.

"So Martha said you should keep an eye on me huh?" Steve said as we walked and I chuckled.

"You heard..." I said and he nodded. "I'm sorry, she can be outspoken..." I said and he smiled while shaking his head.

"I think you should, I mean I can get in trouble sometimes. Keeping an eye on me might do me some good." Steve said and I looked at him.

"Well if you really need me to I can." I said as we reached my door.

"Well how about tomorrow night, you watch me out on date together?" Steve asked and I blushed looking at the ground.

"Really?" I asked and he nodded.

"Of course...I'll pick you up at 6?" Steve asked and I looked back up at him and smiled with a nod.

"Sounds great." I said and he smiled.

"Okay. See you tomorrow." Steve said and I nodded as he walked away.

That's where it started.

***END FLASHBACK***

And where it ended when he walked out to go fight. 3 months ago everything changed. I sighed looking at Emma.

"You want to go to the coffee shop with me. I have a set to do and don't want to go alone today." I said and she nodded.

I was a performer at the small coffee shop where Steve and I had our first date. I wrote and performed certain days of the week. I knew today I needed to do something since Steve didn't come back.

"Yeah, go get ready and we will go." Emma said. I got up, walked to my room, freshened up. I put on my engagement ring and his dog tags. I needed aspect of him with me today. I packed up the guitar and left.

***AT THE COFFEE SHOP***

I had been performing for a little bit and I sighed.

"Okay if you all wouldn't mind right now, I wrote a new song and I would like to perform it for all of you." I said and was met by the small group clapping lightly. I started playing the opening card on my guitar.

🎵And I don't know
This could break my heart or save me
Nothing's real
Until you let go completely
So here I go with all my thoughts
I've been saving
So here I go with all my fears
Weighing on me
Three months and I'm still sober
Picked all my weeds
But kept the flowers
But I know
It's never really over
And I don't know
I could crash and burn but maybe
At the end of this road I might catch
A glimpse of me
So I won't worry about my timing
I wanna get it right
No comparing, second guessing
No, not this time
Three months and I'm still breathing
Been a long road since those
Hands I left my tears in
But I know
It's never really over, no
Wake up
Three months and I'm still standing here
Three months and I'm getting better, yeah
Three months and I still am
Three months and it's still harder now
Three months, I've been living here without you now
Three months, yeah
Three months I oh
Three months and I'm still breathing
Three months and I still remember it
Three months and wake up
Three months and I'm still sober
Picked all my weeds
But kept the flowers🎵

I finished singing, wiping some tears away. I heard the light clapping from people and some small cheers. I looked up and looked towards the doorway. I saw the same ocean blue eyes that were standing at my door holding Winston when I first met him.

"Steve?" I asked rushing off the stage. I ran to him and jumped in his arms.

"I'm sorry Hollis, I didn't mean to leave you. I'm back and I will never leave again." Steve said as I hugged him. I moved back from him, and he pulled me into a passionate kiss. He was back and in my arms. This was all I needed in my life.