The One Who Got Away - Steve Rogers

Once Steve finally had his dance with Peggy Carter they sat down on her couch to talk

"Steve are you sure this can't be real with us?" Peggy asked and Steve sighed.

"No, you're going to marry a great guy in a few years. You meet him soon. Peggy you don't understand me coming up can screw up the timeline and the future for you if we get together." Steve explained and she sighed.

"So where will you go?" Peggy asked.

"I don't know. I mean I already feel better being back, find some people from before the war. I didn't have many people but there were a few." Steve said.

"Any girls?" Peggy asked nudging my shoulder and we just chuckled.

"Just some people. Have to find them first, they may have even moved." Steve said and Peggy sighed.

"I can try to help if you need me." Peggy said and Steve shook his head.

"No, I want you to lead your life. I need you to do something for me." Steve said.

"Anything."

"Forget I'm here. Forget I came back. Live your life, go on without me." Steve said. Peggy looked at him shocked.

"But Steve..." Peggy begged.

"Peggy, if you know I'm here you will never move on, just forget about me being around, forget about it. I'm moving on and I need you to do so as well. Meet this amazing man, have babies and grandbabies and a life. You deserve it all Peggy." Steve said. Peggy sighed and just slightly nodded.

"It like losing you all over again." Peggy said and Steve nodded.

"I know, I'm sorry." Steve said and Peggy sighed. Steve stood up and started to walk to the door, Peggy followed.

Thank you for everything Peggy. Have a wonderful life." Steve said and hugged Peggy. The hug lingered for a few minutes and then they released.

"Have a good life Steve, you deserve it." Peggy said as Steve walked to the porch, leaving the house.

***A FEW DAYS LATER***

Steve walked into the diner in his old neighborhood and sighed. It hadn't changed much, he had...clearly he was changed. He belonged back here, he knew that but besides Peggy he had no one. He wanted to move on, wanted to get the life that Tony was always telling him to get but he wasn't sure how...not back in this time. Peggy was the first woman he loved and he knew that but the timeline. Everyone was also so concerned about the timeline. I grabbed a seat at the counter and sighed. I didn't know what to do. I went by my old apartment and found it the same, thanks to Peggy I had a place to live.

The waitress came up to me and I got a cup of coffee just to sit and think about where life was going now.

"Clara!" I heard the waitress say excited as someone walked in the door. The name caught my heart and made it stop. I hadn't heard her name since before the serum, before the war...