The Winner Takes It All - Ari Levinson

"Blake you need to calm down

"Blake you need to calm down." My dad Jacob said as I paced in our box. I was just watching the track...no race was happening but I was nervous.

"He wasn't easy to calm this morning and no one is letting me know how he is down there!" I kept pacing.

"So go see him! Go to the stables. It's probably because he couldn't see you today anyway." Jacob said and I gave a small smile.

"You get to see his handler if you go down there too." My mom Abby whispered in my ear. I smiled at her.

"Okay fine, I'm going." I rushed out of the box. I was stopped by a couple of people who wanted to say hello. It had been some time since I have been to this race. It was once a year deal but I wasn't sure I wanted to even be here after my bad divorce almost cost me everything, including the horses.

I got down to the table, showed my pass to get it and I walked up to my horse Troublemaker. I smiled and started rubbing up and down his nose.

"Hey boy, heard you've been testy today. Did you just miss me?" I asked him. He started to calm down as I petted him.

"Some say you coddle him too much that's why he is the way he is." I heard a voice say and I looked over to see my handler Ari Levinson.

"Yeah, well then there are people who only treat their horses like I heard not living beings." I said and Ari half nodded.

"Touché."

I grabbed a carrot from the bag Ari was carrying and fed it to the horse.

"You okay being back?" Ari asked and I sighed.

"Thought it would be easy to come back but a lot has changed...now I remember why I hated coming to the derby. The nerves." I chuckled and Ari smiled as me, grabbed my free hand and pulled me into a dark corner of the empty stable beside Troublemaker.

"Anything I can do to help you calm down?" Ari asked. I wrapped my arms around his neck, knocking the cowboy hat off along the way.

"There are a few things you could do..." I said and he growled deep in his throat as he leaned in a passionately kissed me.

I hiked my own leg up and wrapped his around his waist, pulling him flush against me and he smiled in our kiss.

"You know we can't do anything right here. I will not have my way with you in a barn stable." Ari whispered.

"But it's a classy barn stable, I mean the Kentucky Derby, Churchill Downs." I laughed, putting my leg down and be laughed.

"No, I'm started to learn how the horse got in his name. Is it what everyone called you?" Ari asked as we walked back around to the horse, and I stuck my tongue out at Ari.

We just stood there was I watched my horse.

"He is 5 years old this year..." I trailed off.

"Yeah, the oldest one racing this year." Ari said.