Ch.64 ↬ "For power and glory."

Start from the beginning

"Okay– actually, me being a doppelgänger doesn't make sense in the story you just told, so I think there's a continuation," Kara needed clarification, "because you didn't mention Euphoria."

Tessa walked towards the fireplace, putting down a bowl and throwing two of her bracelets to melt in. She watched the flames, thinking back to another horrible memory thousands of years ago.

"Silas and I were expecting a child. A daughter who I already loved. He didn't know yet, I wanted to break the news to him after we got married."

"Why didn't I read about this in Shane's papers?"

"Because she didn't live long anyways," Tessa tried to hold back her tears, but they fell anyways, "Silas didn't deserve my love, much less the love of his daughter. I held our baby in me until the day she was born. She was all I had left."

5TH Century BC (2000 Years Ago)

"Euphoria was my friend once. She stayed beside me when the travellers wanted to kill me for making the immortality spell. She held my hand through the lonely nights, stitched the pieces of my heart that were broken, and delivered my children. She was my family."

Qetsiyah placed her hand on her stomach, already feeling the difference in her magic when the time came. At first, she denied the possibility of ever bearing a child before marriage, but her body began changing and it wouldn't be long before the coven noticed too.

She created a cloaking spell to hide her unborn child for now, she had to keep it a secret if she didn't want to be shunned from the island.

"Qetsiyah," a woman entered the home, carrying a laundry basket as a means to sneak in. It was Euphoria who came to visit her friend.

"Did anyone suspect you?" She asked as soon as she came in. She took out sage to burn it, making sure no one could hear them.

"Not a bit. Amara helped me, they think I'm collecting the remaining artifacts for the ceremony," Euphoria took off her head scarf and sighed, "how are you?"

"I am well.. I can blame the nausea and appetite on nerves before the wedding. Though, I am more scared of what Silas will think after I reveal the secret."

"If he loves you as much as he says he loves you," Euphoria smiled warmly, "all will go well."

Qetsiyah and Euphoria had been friends their whole lives. Although, Euphoria was a low born who served as a handmaiden to one of the other witches, they didn't let that tear their friendship apart.

They first met when they were children, when Qetsiyah accidentally bumped into Euphoria and knocked down the herbs she was sent to collect from the garden. To avoid any trouble, Qetsiyah helped her re-collect the same ones and reuse whatever had fallen. From then, they kept meeting up in secret, since high and low born families were always kept apart.

"Yet.. I was deceived by my own family. One night, I laid my children to rest, and I slept beside them, hoping to wake up in the morning. I woke up on the Other Side. In the afterlife meant for Silas."

"A girl.." Euphoria exhaled as soon as the baby was delivered. She looked towards her friend, chuckling, "you have a daughter."

Qetsiyah sighed in relief when she heard the sound of her daughter crying. She held her baby for a bit before Euphoria took her and cleaned her up.

Beside Qetsiyah was her second husband, the one who she re-married after Silas's betrayal. He held her hand throughout the process, staying by her side and never letting go.