Ch.64 ↬ "For power and glory."

Start from the beginning

"Even 3000 years ago, men liked to blame us for their own issues– didn't they?" Kara spoke up, taking both Qetsiyah and Stefan by surprise.

Stefan walked over to her, sitting down on the bed to check if she was okay, "what are you doing here? Did Silas do something to you?"

"No.." Kara found it hard to make her words sound sensible, "she called herself Euphoria."

At the sound of her name, Qetsiyah's rage exploded for a second, and the wall behind her burned in blue flames. She stared coldly at the two doppelgängers, then recollected herself.

"Uhm–" Stefan took a deep breath, "that lady over there is Qetsiyah and she–"

"I was awake. I decided to just listen," Kara whispered while eyeing the witch, "and no offense, Qetsiyah. Why should we even trust what you're saying?"

"Qetsiyah.. Even you saying my name gives me a headache. And you're not even the original one," Qetsiyah sat down at one of the tables, picking on the leaves of a plant, "how about calling me Tessa? It's different, but not so different you can still find it on a souvenir key chain."

"So that's why you became human again? You wanted a key chain?" Stefan raised his eyebrows.

"Bonnie Bennett lowered the veil and gave me the opportunity to join the land of the living. I thought– sure. My hunters couldn't kill Silas and I figured I had to this myself. A one woman job."

"3000 years is a long time for a grudge, don't you think?"

"Nik held his grudge for almost a thousand so no. It's not far off," Kara ran her fingers through her hair.

"Yes. You have clearly never been abandoned by someone you loved on your wedding day," Tessa got up from her seat, "I prepared a garden where we were getting married in, like the lovesick fool I was. I made the immortality elixir we planned to drink together at the altar. But then everything around me started to die– the garden, our harvest, my wedding flower. He took the elixir somewhere else. He took what he wanted and left me."

Tessa took a few steps towards them with tears in her eyes, "so call me a vindictive bitch, a woman scorned, call me crazy or whatever you want. I loved him and I thought he loved me the same.. he ripped my heart out."

"I'm sorry," Stefan apologized– feeling empathy for her heartbreak.

Kara remained on edge. She was holding Stefan's hand just in case Tessa was going to pull something behind her back.

"I deserved the chance to look him in the eye and make feel how much he hurt me. So I went to look for him and saw the woman he gave my immortality to. The woman he chose over me was his actual true love– my handmaiden. Amara."

"Ohhh," Kara couldn't keep the comment to herself and let out an audible gasp.

"Like a soap opera– right?" Tessa chuckled and sighed.

"So Silas was the first version of me.. Your friend Amara is the first version of Kara?"

"What? No?" Kara jerked her head back, "Euphoria is a witch. She turned me into literal dirt. Amara is the original Elena."

"And hardly my friend," Tessa explained, "when they drank the elixir, they violated nature. Nature found a balance by creating mortal shadow selves who could die."

"Doppelgängers," Kara and Stefan said at the same time.

"Like you two," Tessa smiled, "and Katherine, Elena.. and Mia. All effects of Silas and Amara's sin."