Chapter 94: Finale

Three weeks have passed and things seem to be back to normal.

Veronica came home and Joey moved back into his own room at Sawyer's apartment. Of course, he woke up the next day after the intervention with a lovely shiner to remember everything by. He's not sure if he's going to stay when Sawyer comes home, but he's taking it day by day.

Evan was kicked out of the apartment by Sawyer's mom. She called him a "Bad Influence" and doesn't want someone like him in Sawyer's life when he returns. I haven't seen or heard from him since the intervention. He quit working at the Cafe and the manager is now back on the prowl for another new employee.

Joey and I made a video on Sawyer's channel, explaining that he'll be on hiatus for awhile, but would be back. We said nothing about rehab or his situation. It's not our place to reveal that information and I'm sure Sawyer would like to keep it private. The video has received negative and positive feedback, but that's expected.

I've been thinking about Sawyer a lot lately. His mother called me the other day to relay a personal message from him..

"I've been doing my best, but it's really hard. This second time around seems much more difficult than the first. I talk to a therapist everyday and it seems to help. I know that I hurt you and I'm sorry. I want to get better for myself and I want to fix my relationships with everyone that I've screwed up with. I love you and I hope to speak with you soon."

I still have dreams about the day he left.

-
-
-

Sawyer: Bye, mom.

She wiped her glossy eyes and placed her hands on his cheeks.

Sawyer's mom: I know you can beat this again..

She kissed both his cheeks before looking at his face, one last time. She backed away from the van door and looked to me.

I look to Joey, he nods his head signaling that he was okay to stand on his own.

I slowly walk up to the open van door. I didn't take my eyes off Sawyer for one second. I grab his hand and squeeze it tightly. He sadly grinned, looking down.

Mariella: I'm glad you're doing this.

He sighed, looking up, cocking his head to the side.

Sawyer: It's gonna be tough..

I place my right hand over his chest where his heart would be.

Mariella: You can do it.

He half smiles.

Sawyer: Will you still be here when I come back?

I lean in and kiss him. We separate, just looking at one another.

-
-
-

I never did answer his question. The kiss probably mean't "yes" to him, but in reality, I really wasn't sure.

Either way, I wouldn't of had the heart to say no, if that was my decision.

I needed him to keep a positive mindset. Being negative and relaying possibly devastating news could hurt his chances of going through with this process.

I still have thoughts of moving back to Georgia. But, I also have thoughts that bring my decision back to California.

So, who knows.

I haven't spoken to, or seen Jc since the public fight with Meghan. I never could get his number back. Word around the internet is that he has a new brunette in his life. I'm happy for him, he deserves to have a nice girl.

Besides, like we've said before, maybe we'll cross paths again on some LA street.

Veronica and Luke are still going strong. He asked her to move in with him, but she declined the offer. She says she not ready to take it to the next level, but I think it's because she doesn't want to leave me alone.

I would be lonely if she left, but Luke's willing to wait.

-

-

-

[Weeks later]

Claire: Mariella, can you take these plates to table 4, outside?

Mariella: Sure.

Things at work haven't slowed down. Since we're short staffed, I'm back to working the morning shift till closing. Angie is back full-time and still up to her old ways. Claire was promoted assistant manager, even though I was sure she already was.

Mariella: Here's your food. Enjoy.

I smile and turn to walk back inside.

?: Uhh, excuse me.!

I spin around and notice a blonde, about my height, holding papers in her hand.

Mariella: Yes?

Blonde: Are you, Claire?

I shake my head.

Mariella: No, she's inside. But, you can follow me and I'll take you to her.

She smiles, nodding.

Mariella: Are you here to apply for the job?

Blonde: Yes. I just moved here and I kind of need the money.

Mariella: I know what you mean..

We both giggle.

I lead her to the front of the counter, where Claire is standing, behind the cash register.

Mariella: Claire, someone's here to apply for the opening.

She smiles, sticking out her hand.

Claire: Oh good, you're early.

The blonde clasps her hand, shaking it.

Blonde: Hi, I'm Nicole Graceffa. It's nice to meet you.