Chapter 28: All my fault.

Veronica: What did you say?

Joey looks away.

Veronica: Tell me!

She slams the door closed.

Mariella: He told me more then I would ever get out of you!

She stares, taken aback.

Veronica: What is that suppose to mean?

Mariella: You've been hiding things from me ever since I got here!

Veronica: I have not!

Mariella: When were you going to tell me about this 'Luke' guy? Or, that you used drugs with Sawyer!

Veronica looks to Joey.

Veronica: Why did you tell her?

Joey stays quiet.

Veronica: Does Sawyer even know your telling his personal business to everyone!

Joey stands up.

Joey: You know what I went through! I had to keep this a secret for a long time. Besides, she needed to know.

Veronica: Get. Out.

Joey: You were never going to say anything and neither was Sawyer!

She points to the door.

Veronica: Get out of my apartment!

Mariella: You can't kick him out, he's my guest!

She lowers her arm, grimacing.

Veronica: Fine. I'll go!

She opens the door to leave. I rush over, grabbing her forearm.

Mariella: You're not leaving!

She tries to pull away, but I grip down tighter. We tussle back and forth. She's manages to free herself, shoving me to the floor.

Veronica: I will not stay here and let him make me look like a piece of shit!

Tears start to roll down her cheeks as she flees. Joey comes over, bending down beside me.

Joey: Are you alright?

I sniffle.

Mariella: I'm fine.

He helps me up. I can't believe what just happened.

Mariella: We have to go after her..

Joey: Just let her calm down. She'll come back. This was all my fault anyway.

Mariella: This wasn't your fault! I'm glad you told me. But, she's right. I think Sawyer should've been the one to tell me about his past with drugs.

He grabs his head.

Joey: I was only looking out for you. I didn't mean for this to happen.

I place a reassuring hand on his arm.

Mariella: I know. That argument was long overdue anyways.

He shakes his head.

Joey: I just made it worse..

Mariella: You were also right too though. She wouldn't have told me. She's been keeping a lot of things from me lately.

He lowers his arms, sighing.

Joey: So, I guess she's seeing Luke?

Mariella: Did you know about that?

He shrugs.

Joey: I know as much as you do.

Mariella: Which is little to nothing.

He nods. I'm really starting to worry about Veronica. What else is going on that I don't know about?

Mariella: Do you think she's still using?

Joey: I hope not.

Joey left at around 9:50. Veronica was still gone and I couldn't get ahold of her. I wasn't mad or angry. I was just scared and worried.

How could this happen? How could she let herself get pressured into doing drugs? I can't jump to any conclusions. She may have done it on her own free will. I can't blame Sawyer on his actions either.

I don't know the entire situation.

-

-

It was late when I awoke to footsteps. I heard my door creak open. I pretend to still be asleep. Veronica creeps over and slid under the sheets beside me. I could hear her faintly sobbing.

Mariella: You don't need to cry anymore. I'm just glad you're back.

She hiccups.

Veronica: I-I-I'm s-sorry-y. D-don't hate-e me-e-e.

Mariella: I don't hate you.

Her sobs start to get louder. I move closer to her and wrap my arm around her, intertwining our fingers.

Mariella: It's alright. Just go to sleep.

She sucks in a deep breath.

Veronica: I'm-m not-t u-using anymore-e.

I was relieved to hear her say that. But, I wasn't sure if what she said was true. I just have to hope.

Mariella: We'll talk tomorrow.

I laid there thinking about everything. I don't know how I'm going to be able to work tomorrow.