Chapter 41: How I felt.

I laid there, staring at the ceiling till I doze off. When I awoke, the room was pitch black. I grab my phone. I had 5% battery left. I squint, trying to read the time. 11:44.

I didn't mean to sleep for so long! I touch my forehead. The medicine had seemed to work. I got up and changed into my clothes from this morning. As I put on my shirt, I smell a fresh scent. I sniff the sleeve. Detergent? Did Sawyer wash my clothes? I smell my pants. The same vibrant scent. He did! I smile, cheeky as I continue to change.

He didn't have to do that.

I open the door, peaking out. I waltz down the stairs to a dark living room, with only the brightness shining off of the tv. On the couch laid Sawyer and Hitch, asleep. They both looked adorable as they slept. I couldn't help but cover my mouth, giggling. I tip-toe over. Hitch was laying on Sawyer's left arm. I lightly stroke his head. His eyes open as he glances up at me. I pet him once more, before turning my attention to Sawyer.

I didn't want to wake him. He looked so cute and peacefully. But, I had to get home. I place a hand on his cheek, whispering softly.

Mariella: Sawyer.. Sawyer, wake up.

He groans. I stroke his cheek with my thumb. I whisper louder this time.

Mariella: Sawyer!

He opens one eye.

Sawyer: I'm up..

Mariella: It's almost 12.

He stretches. Hitch starts to lick his arm.

Sawyer: Hey buddy. Did you take a nap too?

He picks him up, petting him, than places him on the floor. He sits up, running his hand through his hair.

Sawyer: How do you feel?

Mariella: Better, see.

I grab his hand and place it on my forehead.

Mariella: No fever.

He smirks.

Sawyer: I'm glad.

He gets up, walking to the kitchen and grabbing his keys. I follow behind him. I start to remember how he acted before. I frown.

Mariella: I'm sorry.

He freezes.

Sawyer: For what?

Mariella: For bringing up Joey.

He faces me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

Sawyer: There's no need to say sorry. I'm over it.

I snuggle my head into his chest, nodding. I wanted to stay like this, forever. We part, leaving his apartment, hand in hand.

-

-

-

Sawyer: You're not going to work tomorrow, right?

I slowly shake my head.

Mariella: I don't think so..

He grins.

Sawyer: I'll call you tomorrow.

I lean through the window and kiss him on the cheek.

Mariella: Goodnight.

I slowly pace up the stairs, as I watch Sawyer drive off.

Their never going to fix the elevator! I stick my key in the lock, opening the door. The apartment was silent. I look down the hallway and see light coming from under Veronica's door. I slowly walk over and knock. I hear heavy footsteps, before the door swings open.

Veronica: Mariella!

She throws her arms around me, squeezing hard.

Veronica: Are you okay? Are you feeling better?

I try to pull away.

Mariella: I'm fine. But, if you don't loosen your grip, I may faint again.

She lets go, a concerned look on her face.

Veronica: You're sleeping me with tonight!

She pulls me into her room.

Mariella: Why?

Veronica: I have to keep an eye on you.

She pushes me onto her bed.

Mariella: I can't sleep like this.

She looks me up and down.

Veronica: I'll go get your pajamas!

She runs out. She brings back more suitable sleep-ware and I change in her bathroom. I couldn't believe she wasn't chewing me out for coming back so late. I guess she really was worried about me. Now she knows how I felt!