Chapter 61: Less is more?

Joey: Are you sure?

Mariella: Yeah, she even confronted me in person.

Joey: Let me see the texts she sent.

Mariella: Uh.. I don't have them.

He raises an eyebrow.

Mariella: I deleted everything, including her number. I assumed we weren't considered friends anymore.

Joey: I just don't believe it.

Great.

Joey: Meghan and I have been friends for a long time. She would never threaten anyone.

Mariella: I promise. I'm not making this up Joey.

He stood there thinking as we made it back to the entrance of the hotel.

Joey: I guess, I'll talk to her-...

Mariella: No! 

He's taken aback.

Joey: Why not?

Mariella: She won't admit to it.

Joey: Then, what am I suppose to do?

Mariella: Nothing.

Joey: So, we're just going to leave things like they are?

Mariella: Yes. Well, I mean.. I don't know?!

I pace back and forth, before sitting down on the curb. What do I do? Joey took a seat beside me.

Joey: Are you saying this because you don't like Meghan?

Mariella: What? No.

Joey: You don't have to get upset.

Mariella: I'm not upset!

I quickly get up and walk around. She doesn't like me! How could he switch this into me not liking her. I get along with everyone! I turn towards him.

Mariella: You don't believe me, do you?

Joey: It's not that I don't believe you. It's just, really hard to believe.

I should've kept those texts! Stupid!

Mariella: Just forget about it. I don't want this to ruin our friendship, again.

He slowly gets up.

Joey: If this is true, than we can't just forget about it. Just, let me talk-...

Mariella: No! You can't! I'll figure something out..

He sighs.

Mariella: It's getting late. You should go.

He half smiles, walking up, giving me one final hug.

Joey: Sleep well.

I pat him on the back, before pulling apart. He waves, before turning to walk off. He gets halfway down the parking lot, before I speak up.

Mariella: Joey!

He spins around.

Joey: What?!

Mariella: Please, don't say anything!

He turns around throwing his hand high up in the air. What does that mean?

Mariella: That better mean you won't!

Joey: Goodnight, Mariella!

I watch him walk down the dark sidewalk, till I couldn't see him anymore. I pass through the sliding doors, to the elevator.

Front desk employee: Excuse me, miss?

Mariella: Yes?

I walk towards him.

Front desk employee: Do you by any chance stay in room 255?

Mariella: I do.

Front desk employee: Someone dropped these off at the front desk for you.

He bends down and picks up a vase filled with flowers. I was confused and shocked. Who would send flowers this late at night?

Mariella: Uh, thank you.

The guy nods, smiling.

I pick up the vase and head back to the elevator. I examine the flowers once inside. They were pretty and had a pleasant, light scent to them.

I exit the elevator as it stops at my floor. I grasp the vase tightly, hoping it wouldn't slip. I was somewhat struggling with the heavy thing, but manage to make it inside the hotel room. I should've asked the guy to help me bring them up.

I close the door with my foot, setting the vase down on the kitchen table. I notice a small card attached to the only red rose between the millions of other flowers. I pick it out and open the card.

"I'm sorry."

To:Mariella

From:Sawyer

He must've dropped them off while I was with Joey. I should've known they were from him. I look from the card to the rose. I raise it to my nose and take a small whiff.

A single red rose is a symbol of "love". Or, is it a dozen roses? If it is a dozen, he must not love me too much. But. Less is more.

Wait, what am I thinking?! I'm not just going to let him off the hook with a bunch of silly flowers. He was a total asshole the other night! These flowers won't change anything.

But. It was nice of him.

I take the card off the rose before placing it back in the vase. I give it one last look, before ripping it up and throwing it in the trash. Harsh or not, I won't let this kind gesture manipulate me.