Chapter 78: Emergency.

I watch as my phone continued to ring, before the music finally ceased.

I wipe my nose, bending down to retrieve. The screen was cracked and a chunk of the case was broken off.

I didn't care.

The phone wasn't the big issue at the moment. It began to go off again in my hand. I clear my throat, before answering.

Mariella: H-hello?

Claire: What the hell! Where are you?? I'm here by myself. Evan was here this morning, but now he's gone too.

Mariella: I'm on my way back.

Claire: What's going on? Is Evan with you?

Mariella: N-no.

I look at the door I was just thrown out of.

Claire: Well, you better hurry, the Manager's on his way here.

I sniffle.

Mariella: Okay. I'm coming..

Claire: Are you crying? Where are you?

Mariella: I'm fine!

Claire: Okay, okay.. Just get here quick.

I hang up, taking off towards my car. I quickly get in and look at myself in the rear view mirror. I look like hell. Mascara was running down my cheeks and I can't stop the tears from falling.

I slam my hand onto the steering wheel.

"Why?"

I rest my forehead over my hand, squeezing my eyes shut tight.

"I need to go. I need to go."

I turn my head, looking out the window.

"What's going on in that apartment?"

I don't want to leave. I need to do something. I need to get Sawyer out of there.

I raise my head up, drying my eyes and wiping off any stray mascara. I start the engine and pull out.

"I'm sorry, Sawyer. I'll come back for you."

-

-

-

Pulling into the Cafe parking lot took all of my will power. I didn't want to get fired, but if it happens.. It just happens.

Claire came out running towards the car. She opened the door and took one look at me.

Claire: Something happened..

She stood back as I got out.

Claire: Whatever happened, you need to push aside for now, because-...

I look towards the Cafe entrance and there stood our Manager. His arms crossed. I sigh, walking up to him. Claire places a reassuring hand on my back, slightly grinning.

Manager: Lets talk in the back.

I nod, following suit.

He opens the door for me as I walk in. I stood close to the corner as he shut it behind him.

Manager: Why are you late?

Mariella: I clocked in on time, but left shortly after.

Manager: Okay. Why is that?

Mariella: There was an emergency.

He rose an eyebrow.

Manager: You couldn't of taken care of it before coming in?

I shook my head, sheepishly.

Mariella: It was unexpected..

He just stares at me.

Manager: Where's Evan?

I shrug, knowing good and well where that bastard is.

Mariella: I don't know.

Manager: Are you sure? Claire said he was gone once your shift started?

Mariella: I didn't see him when I came in..

"Liar"

Manager: You've already been out for a week and now this. What's going on?

Mariella: I'm sorry. It won't happen again.

Manager: Do I need to look for someone to take your place?

I look to him, pleading.

Mariella: N-no. I'm capable of fixing my personal issues and working. I won't let this happen again.

He stares at me, before cracking a soft smile.

Manager: Alright. I trust you. Please don't act reckless again.

Mariella: I won't.

Manager: If you see Evan, tell him I need to have a word with him.

He turns to exit through the door.

Mariella: Umm, I have one thing to ask you..

He faces me.

Mariella: Is it possible for Evan and I to alternate morning shifts? I want the extra hours back.

Manager: Can you handle it?

Mariella: I'm positive. I stay open till close when he wasn't here.

Manager: Do you and Evan not get along?

"Of course not."

Mariella: It's not that. I just need the hours, sir.

He pauses, I assume contemplating the idea.

Manager: I'll think about it. When Evan returns, all three of us will have a discussion on the matter.

"God, no."

Mariella: Yes, sir..

He exits, leaving me alone.

Claire walks in holding my apron.

Claire: Here..

I take it from her, raising the strap over my head. She wiggles her finger in a circle.

Claire: Turn around.

I do as she says. She ties the back and turns me around to face her again.

Claire: Do you want to tell me what happened?

I slowly shake my head. This isn't something minor I can just tell to anyone.

She grins.

Claire: I understand.

We walk out, continuing on with the rest of the work day. I didn't want to be here. I had to do something. I needed to tell the one person who knew how to fix this.