Chapter 9: Stop lying..

When I woke up this morning I realize today is Sunday and my interview was tomorrow! What was I going to say? What was I going to wear? I was pre-stressing. Big time!

I walk into the living room, not realizing Veronica was recording a video.

Veronica: Oh, look everyone! Guess who just woke up..

I raise my hand up, attempting to cover my morning face.

Mariella: Don't look at me! Who makes videos at 10 in the morning?!

I dash into the kitchen, pouring me a bowl of cereal. Veronica ends her video, turning off the camera.

Mariella: You better edit me out.

Veronica: You walked in at an important part.. I can't! You'll just have to deal with it. You don't look bad anyway!

I roll my eyes, spooning cereal into my mouth. I start to think about last night. Should I ask her what she talked to Sawyer about after I left?

Was that being too noisy?

Mariella: So.. What did you and Sawyer talk about after I came upstairs?

Veronica: Nothing really. I just told him I was sorry about causing so much trouble the other night.

Why do I feel like she's lying?

Mariella: Oh, well why did you go by his house that night, anyway?

Veronica: I don't know. I just drove there.

Now, she's definitely lying.

Mariella: Have you two dated?

Veronica: No. Why do you ask?

Mariella: Just wondering.. Do you 'like' him?

She furrows her eyebrows.

Veronica: What's with all the questions?

If she wasn't so secretive, maybe I wouldn't have to ask so many questions!

Mariella: I'm just asking. I'm not trying to upset you.

She glares at me.

Veronica: What did he tell you?

Mariella: W-what are you talking about?

Veronica: Sawyer told you something. What did he say?

I purse my lips in panic.

Mariella: He didn't tell me anything..

This is what I get for prying. Now, I'm in the middle of this and can't get myself out!

Veronica: Dont lie to me, Mariella!

Mariella: Then you stop-...

I pause. I bit my tongue to stop myself from continuing. I freaked out. The words just spewed out like vomit.

Veronica: Stop what?

Great. I have to tell her what I know now. I just gave myself away! I sigh.

Mariella: Stop lying to me.

Veronica: I haven't lied to you..

Mariella: I know about you and Sawyer. You don't have to hide it anymore.

She softens her intense gaze.

Veronica: When did he tell you?

Mariella: The night he brought you home.

She pauses, frowning.

Veronica: Look, I was stupid then. I didn't care that he had a girlfriend. I just-...

I cut her off, immediately.

"Girlfriend??"

Mariella: Wait. What are you talking about??

Shocked, she froze.

Veronica: I thought he told you..

Mariella: He told me you guys had been hooking up on and off.

Her demeanor turned stiff as she covered her face with her hands.

Mariella: What do you mean by, "You didn't care that he had a girlfriend?".

She raises her head from her hands. She looks like she is about to cry.

Mariella: Tell me..

She sighs, blinking her watery eyes, looking away.

Veronica: When I first moved to LA I met Sawyer through Tyler. We started hanging out and became good friends. I started having feelings for him, but he had already told me he had a girlfriend. So I tried to ignore my emotions. In the end, I couldn't hold back anymore, so I told him how I felt. He said he liked me, but couldn't change the fact that he was taken and loved her. I told him, I didn't care that he had a girlfriend and I seduced him into having sex with me. It went on for awhile until his girlfriend found out and broke up with him. He stopped talking to me for months and I felt horrible for what I had done. I thought he hated me. We started talking again about 3 months ago.

I couldn't believe it.

I'm glad she told me all this, instead of Sawyer. No wonder he acted so awkward.

Mariella: So, tell me the truth. Why did you go to his house that night?

Veronica: I wasn't thinking straight! I was tipsy and wanted to see him. When I got there, I told him how sorry I was and that I hope he didn't hate me. Than, the rest is a blur..

Mariella: He said, you went through his kitchen, looking for more alcohol.

She sinks down into her seat.

Veronica: I'm such an idiot..

I felt bad. My sister did something I would never expect her to do. I guess she was too ashamed to tell me.

Mariella: Do you still have feelings for him?

Veronica: No. I gave up and moved on. We never dated and if I still had feelings for him, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't date me. We're just friends.. Nothing more.

I sat there comforting her. She finally shook it off and said she needed to edit her video. I was still trying to process everything.

I'm not sure I believe that she's moved on. But, she hasn't given me any other reason not to believe her. So, I'll just leave it alone.

But, I need to hear from Sawyer.

I went to my room and quickly change clothes. I pick up my phone and press the message button.

[Mariella]- Hey Sawyer, I need to talk to you..