Chapter 90: Devastated.

Mariella: J-Joey!

I toss the car keys onto the kitchen table, still sobbing. Joey walks out of my room and stands in the hallway. I run to him, burying my head and hands into his chest.

Mariella: W-we have to do something..

He places both hands on either side of my arms and lightly pushes me back, till we make eye contact.

Joey: What's wrong?

Mariella: We have to help him now.

Joey: Who?

Mariella: S-Sawyer!

He let's go of me, placing his hands to his side.

Joey: You went to see him?

I shook my head.

Mariella: He came to the Cafe.

Joey: What happened?

Mariella: I tried to leave, but he wanted to talk. He said he loved me and wanted me back. I told him I can't be around him with him like this. He got upset and we started yelling at each other. Evan tried to drag me away again, but-...

Joey: Wait. Evan was there? And, what do you mean by, "Drag me away again"?

"I forgot to tell him."

Mariella: Evan works at the Cafe and lives with Sawyer now.

Joey: In the spare room?

Mariella: Yeah. I went to Sawyer's apartment last week and that's how I found out about the OxyContin. Evan barges in when I was with Sawyer in his room and threw me out of the apartment. His expression changes instantly. He looked annoyed.

Joey: I can't believe this! He didn't hurt you, did he?

Mariella: No. But, I made it worse by kicking and screaming.

He grabs his forehead, looking at me.

Joey: Where was Sawyer when this happened?

Mariella: Laying on the bed. He was too high to even comprehend what was going on.

Joey paces back and forth. I wipe away tears, wondering what he was thinking. He than stops and faces me.

Joey: Give me your phone.

Mariella: Why??

Joey: You have Evan's phone number, don't you?

Mariella: No. Even if I did, there's no reason for you to speak to him.

Joey: Alright, then I'll go over there.

He rushes into my room. I watch him from the doorway. He snatches his keys off the bedside table and comes back. I place my hands on his chest, trying to push him back.

Mariella: Joey, no! You don't need to go over there. You'll just start a fight.

Joey: I don't care.

He moves me aside, stomping down the hallway. I run after him and grab his hand.

Mariella: Please! Don't go!

Joey: Mariella, let go of my hand.

I yank him towards me.

Mariella: Tell me what you're going to do?

Joey: I'm gonna have a word with Evan.

Mariella: Who cares about Evan! This is about Sawyer?

Joey: Just let me do this!

I let go of his hand and run towards the door, putting my back against it.

Mariella: Sawyer needs us.

Joey: Mariella. Please, move..

Mariella: Just think about what you're doing. You're trying to be the hero and protect me. I'm not the one that needs saving!

Joey: I won't start a fight if that makes you feel better.

He grabs the door handle.

Mariella: If you walk out this door, I'll call the police!

Joey: Mariella-...

Mariella: I'll do it!

I pull my phone out. He stares at me before sighing. He removes his hand from the handle and walks over to the couch.

Joey: Fine.

He sits down. I walk over and take a seat beside him.

Mariella: We need to focus on Sawyer. Tomorrow's Thanksgiving and his family needs to know he's going back to treatment. He runs a hand through his hair, sighing once again.

Joey: His mother will be devastated this is happening again.

Mariella: She needs to be here.

Joey: I'll call her.

He tries to get up, but I stop him.

Mariella: Let me call her.

Joey: Are you sure?

Mariella: I'd rather have Sawyer upset with me for calling, than you.

He half smiles.

Joey: Everything will be okay. The hardest part will be convincing Sawyer to go back to rehab.

I slowly nod.

Joey takes out his phone and scrolls through his contacts. He stops, handing me his phone.

Mariella: I'm nervous.

He places his hand on my knee.

Joey: Just know your doing the right thing.

I take the phone, pressing the call button. It starts ringing. I look to Joey. He grins patting my leg before getting up.

Sawyer's mom: Hello?

Mariella: Hi, my name is Mariella Hernandez and I'm friends with your son, Sawyer..