Chapter 74: Cautious.

I felt as if time was at a stand still. The hours turn to minutes and the minutes turn to seconds. I carry on, passing by Evan ever so often. He would turn and give me a smug look whenever he got the chance.

He even took dirty dishes from my hands and said he would take care of them. Most people would consider it a generous offer, but all I got was bad vibes from him. I'm not sure what it is about him that makes me so suspicious of his motives. It's either, him knowing so much information about me or his message he wanted me to pass onto Joey. Does he have issues with Joey? Or, is he just going off of what Sawyer's told him.

The Cafe was starting to slow down as the sun began to set. I was sitting at an empty table by the register, cleaning, folding napkins and silverware.

Claire: So, what do you think of Evan? Good employee, right?

Mariella: Uhh, yeah. I guess so.

She raises an eyebrow, pulling out the chair beside me and taking a seat.

Claire: "You guess so?" He's great!

Mariella: I'm sure his looks is what's bringing in all the customers.

Claire: That's a good thing. More money!

Mariella: Yeah, less in my pocket and more in his.

Claire: Okay.. What's going on?

Mariella: Did your hours get cut since he got here?

Claire: Ah, now I get it..

Mariella: I'm not trying to be greedy, but I was here before him and I work just as hard.

Claire: Talk to the manager then.

Mariella: I want too, but I've already been out for a week. He may shoot me down if I ask. Why don't you hint something to him.

Claire: Why me?

Mariella: Because, you're pretty much assistant manager around here.

Claire: I don't know. I'll see what I can do. For now, maybe you should talk to Evan and come to an agreement on morning hours. You know, split up who comes in on what days.

I glance over and see Evan's back turned to us, mopping the floors.

Mariella: I don't know. I don't think he'll compromise. He looks like the stingy type.

Claire smirks, looking down, shaking her head. I stare at her confused.

Mariella: What?

Claire: Why don't you like him?

Mariella: I never said I didn't like him.

Claire: You act like you don't..

Mariella: I just call it like I see it.

Claire: What about, never judge a book by its cover?

If she were me, she'd be cautious of him too.

Mariella: What about, a tiger cannot change his stripes.

Claire: You just met him. You'll never know till you speak with him.

She gets up, pushing her chair in, walking around the counter to the cash register.

I pick up a napkin and begin folding again. I look over at Evan. He picks up the mop and walks over to the bucket, placing it inside. He lifts up his head and our eyes meet. He flashes a grin. I look away, annoyed, placing the completely folded napkin on top of the others. Looks like I'm postponing that talk for a later date.

I untie my apron and hang it on the hook, before clocking out. I notice Evan's card is right beside mine. I pick it up and take a quick look. As I go to place it back, the door swings open, startling me and I drop it.

Evan: Hey..

I stay quiet, bending down to recover it. I slowly stand up, handing it to him.

Mariella: Sorry. Knocked it down when I was clocking out.

He smirks, taking it from my hand. He walks behind me and clocks out himself. As I go to leave, I'm stopped by his last remark.

Evan: See you tomorrow, Mariella.

My hand is on the door. I swiftly turn to answer him.

Mariella: Yeah..

He flashes a smug smile, once again. I rush out, rolling my eyes as I walk to my car.

What is with him?! Giving me those smug looks all damn day.

I drive home like a maniac as Evan's smug face runs through my mind. It annoys me to the point where I'm pissed off for no reason. I slam the car door, stomping up the stairs to the apartment. I shove the key into the door, opening it roughly.

I look to my right and notice Tyler sitting on the couch. He places a finger to his lips, making a light shushing sound. He points to his lap where I see a sleeping Veronica in dreamland.