Chapter 3: "Help Wanted"

The car ride to the Cafe was silent. Meaning, Tyler and Veronica talked the whole way, while I sat there quietly, listening.

When we arrived, I notice the Cafe was much smaller than I had expected. There were many tables set outside, with only a few inside. I had to admit, it was cute.

We walk up to where a hostess stood, seating customers.

Tyler: Hi. There's going to be 4 of us, but is there anyone already here by the name of 'Sawyer'?

The hostess smiles and led us to a table outside.

Sawyer: Hey?!

Is that 'Sawyer'? He was a good looking guy..

Tall, had gorgeous blue eyes and a great smile. He hugged Tyler and Veronica, than glanced over at me.

Veronica: Sawyer, this is my sister, Mariella.

He eyes me, grinning.

Sawyer: Nice to meet you.

I thought he was going to shake my hand, but instead he pulls me into a hug. It was very unexpected, so I didn't really comprehend what was going on.

I'm not sure I even hugged him back.

Sawyer: Nice piercing. If you didn't have one, I wouldn't be able to tell you and V apart.

Mariella: Thanks..

For some reason, I knew that was coming.

We all sat down and started looking at our menu's. I somehow ended up sitting beside Sawyer. It wasn't awkward, but I did feel a little nervous.

I order an Iced Coffee and a Sandwich, when the waitress came by to take our order.

Sawyer: So Mariella, what do you think of LA so far?

Mariella: I mean it's my first day here, but it's nice so far.

Sawyer: Are you a Youtuber?

Oh no.. What if he asks if I've seen any of his videos?! I can't say I had no idea who he was!

Mariella: Ehh..

Veronica cut me off before I could answer.

Veronica: She has a Youtube channel, but she doesn't make videos. I told her how much fun it was, but she won't do it. She's too worried about a job..

He just nods.

Sawyer: I see. Well, you're in luck..

He points over to a sign hanging on the Cafe's entrance. It read "Help Wanted".

Veronica: That's perfect!!

Mariella: What makes you think I wanna work here?

Tyler: So, you're not going to apply?

I shrug, innocently.

Mariella: Well, I mean.. I guess it would be a good job..

Veronica randomly claps her hands together.

Veronica: Then, it's settled! I'll go get you an application.

She takes her camera out of her bag and begins vlogging.

Veronica: So, we're at the Cafe and guess who joined us?!

She instantly turns the camera to Sawyer. He smiles big, saluting.

Sawyer: What's up!

Veronica: Sawyer's here and he just found my sister her new job! She's going to be working at this very Cafe!

She quickly turns the camera on me.

I half smile.

Mariella: Lets hope.. I have to apply first.

Veronica: Well, I'm going to get her an application now, than after we eat our delicious food, we are going to Ikea. Wish Mariella luck you guys!

She gets up, turning the camera on the three of us for a reaction.

Tyler: She's definitely going to get the job!

Sawyer crosses his fingers as I glance over at him.

Veronica turns off the camera, places it on the table and heads inside the Cafe. When she returns the waitress had already brought the food out.

Veronica: Here you go, Mariella.

She hands me the slip of paper and a black pen. I fill out the form while we eat.

I was relieved to have found a job so quickly. The only down side was, would I get the job or not? The food was very good. I set the pen down and scan over the application one last time.

Tyler: Ready to go?

We stood up and went inside to pay the bill. Sawyer and Tyler paid for their half, while Veronica paid for hers and mine. I felt bad, but I had no money. That's why I desperately needed this job! Before we left, I handed the application to the cashier.

I sigh, hoping the manager will give me a chance. I feel a hand rest on my shoulder. I look to my left and see Sawyer, smiling.

Sawyer: Don't worry.. You'll get the job.

He then wraps his arm around my shoulder. Another unexpected gesture, but it felt nice.

Veronica: So, we'll see you at Ikea!

He nods.

Sawyer: Alright.

He slid his arm off my shoulder and walked to his car. Which by the way, was rather extravagant.