Chapter 26: Judging.

Joey and Shane eat as I continue working, dropping by their table ever so often to see how things are going. By the time they leave, it's already 5:50. Just 40 more minutes. I quickly text Tyler as things start to slow down.

[Mariella]- Hey Tyler, I get off at 6:30.

He responds back in an instant.

I start to realize that Veronica still hasn't attempted to call and let me know how she is or if she's even at home.

[Mariella]- Have you heard from Veronica again?

[Tyler]- Yeah, she said she won't be back until late.

I grip my phone, squeezing tightly. Now, I'm pissed! Does she have any idea that is information her SISTER would like to know! I mean, come on! Why is she telling Tyler everything and leaving me in the shadows?

[Mariella]- Is there any reason why she's talking to you and not even responding to me?

As I stare graciously at my phone, I don't notice Claire standing behind me.

Claire: I didn't think I would have to explain cell phone rules.

I jump, slowly turning towards her.

Mariella: Sorry. Just making sure my ride home is going to be here.

Claire may look my age, but she's actually 25. I couldn't believe it. She takes her job very seriously and she is VERY intimidating. I'm surprised she's not manger or even assistant manager.

-

-

-

Tyler pulls up at 6:28, right as I was clocking out. I run towards the car and slouch down into the seat.

Tyler: Hard day?

Mariella: It wasn't too bad. I got the hang of things pretty quick.

He grins, pulling out of the parking lot.

Tyler: Well, good for you! I'll stop by sometime and test your new skills.

Mariella: That reminds me, Shane and Joey came by today.

Tyler: Did they tip you good?

I smirk.

Mariella: I'm not even sure they tipped me. I'll have to have a word with Mr. Graceffa when he comes over.

Tyler: He's going to the apartment?

Mariella: Yeah, he said he had something he wanted to talk to me about.

He sends me a questioning expression.

Tyler: What did you do?

Mariella: Me? I haven't done anything.

At least, I think I didn't do anything.

Tyler drops me off as I slowly move my way up the stairs. No sign of Veronica as I walk into an empty, dark apartment.

Was she ever coming back? I wasn't even sure I believed she was coming home tonight.

I strip my clothes off and toss them into the hamper. I put on a pair of sweatpants and a tank top that showed a little bit of a mid-drift. I threw myself onto my bed, checking my phone. I notice I hadn't read Tyler's reply to my last text, before Claire scared the hell out of me.

[Tyler]- Maybe she's just scared to tell you everything. She doesn't want you to judge her like everyone else has.

Why would I judge her? I can't judge her if I don't know anything. I mean, I won't, but who is 'everyone else'?

And, 'Everything'? There's more I don't know?

I want Veronica to be able to confide in me about her problems. I want to be able to help her. I'm her sister for god sake! I don't hide things from her. Well. Maybe sometimes. But, I end up telling her!

I set my phone to charge on the bedside drawer. I turn over and close my eyes for 2 seconds.

Bad idea.