Chapter 68: To good to be true.

"But, you kissed him.?"

"YOU" kissed him.

How was I suppose to reply to that?! Was he insinuating that I forced myself on Jc? I had no idea he saw. I thought I did it quick enough to be discreet. It was a friendly kiss. Jc knew that. I mean, after I did it he said "I get it". We're friends! I don't know how much clearer I could be.

For the rest of the car ride home, I switched my phone off. I didn't want to talk about "that" now. I would explain myself later. I'm sure Ricky is going to ask Jc for his side of the story. He'll be honest and part of the situation will be cleared up.

I don't have any other feelings beside friendship towards Jc. He pretty much knows about my ordeal with Sawyer, thanks to Meghan. I don't think Jc has feelings for me. He is known for being the biggest flirt. This isn't going to be blown out of proportion, so I have nothing to worry about. I have plenty of other things on my mind, anyway.

Veronica parks the car in front of our apartment building.

Veronica: It's good to be home.

We both get out grabbing our bags and walking to the stairs. I was about to start climbing the first set when Veronica grabs my arm.

Veronica: Look.

She points at the elevator.

Veronica: The "out of order" sign is gone. Looks like they finally fixed it.

Mariella: Finally!

I hop off the first step, following Veronica as she presses the button. The sliding door immediately open. We step inside, pressing the "2" button. It lit up as the door closed. The elevator began making it's way up. It than stops at the first floor, without opening the doors. I look over at Veronica. It starts up again, moving slowly. It halts harshly, making a loud noise. The light on the second button turns off. Veronica groans looking up.

Mariella: I don't think they fixed it..

Veronica: But-...

The elevator starts making this horrible screeching noise. It began to jump as if it was trying to force itself to go up. It stops after a few minutes. The light inside the elevator turns off and the emergency red light turns on.

Mariella: You've got to be kidding me..

Veronica presses the emergency call button. Nothing. She continues to press it. Still nothing.

Mariella: What are we suppose to do if the emergency call button doesn't work?

Veronica: I don't know. I've never been in this situation before.

I can't believe we're stuck inside the elevator to our own apartment building?! I knew it was too good to be true that they fixed the damn elevator!

Mariella: We should've just taken the stairs.

Veronica gave me a dirty look.

Veronica: We'll just have to call 911.

Mariella: Just call the owner of the apartment building!

Veronica: I would if I had their number.

She's lived in this building for over a year now and doesn't have the owners number?! She pulls out her phone and begins dialing.

Mariella: Wait! This isn't the kind of emergency you call to 911.

Veronica: Mariella, were stuck in an elevator that has no electricity?! Do you want to stay in here all night?

Mariella: No.

She presses call, holding the phone to her ear.

Veronica: Hi, my sister and I are stuck inside the elevator of my apartment building. The electricity isn't working. I've tried. About 10 minutes.

She gives the address and continues to answer questions. This would happen to us.

She hangs up, looking at me.

Mariella: So??

Veronica: Their sending the fire department.

Mariella: I guess, we just wait then.

We both sit on the elevator floor in silence. I look at my phone, as I twirl it around in my hands. I sigh, holding down the power button. It turns on fully and starts going off.

5 new text messages and 3 missed calls. Two from Ricky and one from a number I don't know.

[Ricky]: So, are you two together?

[Ricky]: Are you mad at me for asking?

[Ricky]: I'm sorry. I don't want you to be upset with me.

[Joey]: Hey. Just wanted to make sure you made it home okay. Text me later :)

[Unknown #]: Hey Mariella, it's Jc. Call me when you get this.

I can't answer them back now. It's so embarrassing, but I have to let them know..

[Mariella]: Hey. I just got home, but I'll have to talk to you later. I'm kind of stuck in an elevator right now..