59. Love of My Life

The mood in the car did not improve much, with Freddie sulking and Isabella tensed to the nines, Mike can't help feel uneasy.

It's now almost lunchtime and how better to break the tension than offer an out for whomever of them needs it more by suggesting to stop over and eat?

"Would you like to pass by a diner, Freddie? Theres a few down the next exit if you or the miss are hungry."

And as a casual unintended pun, Isabella's tummy let out a very unladylike growl. A sound 'soft' enough to embarrass a grown man to a puddle!

Freddie turned ready to tease while Mike  checks her from the car mirror in humour. Isabella hurriedly pressed her middle as if it could silence the annoyingly continuous (why is it not stopping?!) sound that mortifies her and for sure the whole of her ancestors!

With supreme effort, Freddie decided against teasing her to avoid getting her more embarrassed, thinking to himself just how cute she is at whatever she's doing OR undoing. "I think we better take that exit you're suggesting Mike. I'm hungry myself."

Isabella felt a little relief at the fact Freddie spared her from teasing. Sure she would be the first to laugh at herself if it wasn't Freddie she was seated next to! Still, getting embarrassed with him as the audience is not cool. But..

But it WAS funny!

Both men were surprised at hearing her bubbly laugh that started as a giggle before turning to full on hysterics!

Why, the girl turned mad from tension and hunger! Poor dear, I've certainly driven her mad!

But soon enough all three of them were laughing like silly overgrown monkeys finding their own shit funny!

Just like that and all seem right in the world again. Mike is pretty pleased with himself knowing he had a hand on this bit of truce.

Now, where to find a diner that was made up? And fast!

*****

After his prayers were answered in the form of a roadside resto, thank goodness Mike thought, he left the two in search of the nearest gas station insisting he has to have the other wheels checked just to be on the safe side and requested to have his meal to go instead so as not to waste time.

In truth he just wants an out for himself too, hoping this bit of time will cool whatever static is fuelling friction between those two.

Luckily, apart from the usual old folks seated at the counter reading Sunday's newspaper and the café attendants chatting between themselves about gossip mostly, the diner is pretty much deserted.

To prevent any prying eyes, Freddie put on his fake mustache and sunglasses as well as his baseball cap beforehand. And tried so hard to tone down his aura which proved more difficult as his presence naturally stirs attention towards him.

He wants to enjoy this moment with Isabella like you would in a date as this is the nearest thing he could ask of a date from her without someone digging in to get dibs on his love life.

He held her hand as he led her to the far end table while he kept his head bowed. She had butterflies in her stomach as soon as his hand held hers in a way as if he has ownership of it. A claim, an authority and oddly enough she finds the gesture so attractive. Being led on with not much choice is perhaps an odd way to get attracted but it does it's magic on her. Or maybe only because it's Freddie doing it which she can't get enough of.

He gestured for her to seat as soon as they reached the end table. Mimicking the motions of a servant in waiting. Instead of sitting opposite her though, Freddie slid closely beside her ignoring her protesting face.