23. Tell Us Fred

"You're late Fred" Roger quips with a raspy voice.

"So you say" Freddie responds dryly.

"Will you perhaps care to explain the reason to us, why?" Brian seconds.

"No"

"We've been here all morning Freddie! You better have a darn good one!" Roger said irritated.

"I was held somewhere, not a big deal. I'm here now aren't I?"

"Well if it's one of your boyfriend's going batt shit crazy again I wi_" Roger was saying before Freddie cuts him.

"It's Isabella" Freddie glances at his bandmates faces then down again.

"Why, is she ok?" John stops strumming his bass to look Freddie's direction.

"Is everything all right?" Brian spoke almost the same time as John.

"She's okey. I brought her out for dinner last night, after umm, after you all left the studio."

All three looked at each other, Freddie still just looking down at the piano pressing keys with one finger.

"And then what? Did you mess with her!?" Roger now furrowing his brows.

"No, of course not. We had dinner and had a few drinks after." He shrugged one of his shoulders

"Has she passed out?" John hinting at the reason.

"Yes and well I had to bring her home and look after her, you know. To be sure she's ok not sick or anything."

"But she was?" John presses

"A little but now she's okey."

"So you didn't do anything?" Roger asks suspicious of his friend's answer.

"What do you take me for?"

"Why was she here yesterday, Fred?" Brian asks softly.

Freddie smiled as he recalls how he was so pleasantly surprised by her visit and felt a tad bit too special cause she made him goodies! Then all of a sudden sulking: These hoodlums, those pastries were mine!

"You said she hasn't been around for months?" Brian was becoming more curious at Isabella's sudden reappearance.

"Why if this is the Interpol I will not be shocked at all! You've asked me enough questions and.. and I need a break!"

"You just got here, actually" John casually puts in.

"Com'mon, out with it Freddie." Roger chimes.

"Hayyy, you all exasperate me if you don't know yet." Rolling his eyes as he continues. "Well, to cut it short I've had some domestic problems at my flat a few days ago and.. sort of, like needed a place to crash. All you lot are not an option and, and I decided to drop by hers."

As though knowing he's still not sharing fully all three boys just waits for him to continue.

I just can't with these three Freddie monologues inwardly with an eye roll. "The fellow who hostage my house won't leave, could you believe?! So, uhmm so I ended up staying for a second night."

"And you said nothing happened?" Roger sarcastically drawls, some funny expression to match.

"Well yes, believe me dear."

"Is that right?" Brian smiling while shaking his head

"So what about last night?" John uncharacteristically curious now.

"Why John, Roger's rubbed you with that love for gossip has he now?"

"Heyyyy, that jabs uncalled for!" Roger snaps!

"So like I said, umm.. she had a few drinks and, and, you know might get sick so I stayed to uhmm to look after her, that's it." Freddie shrugs as if he's sharing nothing important.

"You slept with her three days? You joking?" Brian was laughing

"I'll be damned!" Roger's lips almost splitting in two from his wide grin.

"Just take it easy on her, Fred. She seems the good kind." John gives his advice as he walks to tap Freddie on the shoulder

"What do you mean? She's just a friend. Just a good one at that.. unlike you three shitheads!" Freddie said with a grin, now all shaking their heads in good humour.

"I've asked her to stay with me as some kind of housemate and she's well she'll look after the house like as usual. But she turned it down with some sort of excuse. And I'm still trying, no - going to convince her."

"As a friend?" Brian pretending to clarify.

"Yes"

"Right"

"Now let's get back to business lads" Freddie claps in authority.