26. Peter Straker

She held her sister's picture as she lies on Elizabeth's bed. In her head she kept hearing the line from the novel "The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde"

"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic."

That line could not have been more telling or valid to her than now. She had read the novel awhile back and was so caught up with the story. It was sad how someone who started as a kind, 'prince charming' of a man such as Dorian would end up being so caught up in the hedonistic ways of the world. Whereby in the end, death will claim him by his own hands.

Tragic endings seem to to be the theme of her life, today was no exemption. The characters she's taken an interest be it in fiction or in real life seem to turn her fondness to heartbreaks.

Isabella couldn't keep her tears from falling until there's no more left. Just now she wants to let it all out. Oh how she wished Elizabeth were here. To just be here with her while the world as she knows it crumbles.

For the first time in her life someone has violated her. Reduce her self worth, the only real thing she owes that has value. The insult made more pronounce being that her aggressor is someone she so adored. He was her piece of fantasy in her life full of loss and realness. To her Freddie is magic; from his raven black hair, those soft warm eyes and a form so sleek he lures you in with his magnetism. As if you could resist, he also posses a voice none could recreate. The gods favored creating him, she knows.

But what to make of his aggression towards her? Should his other-worldly aura excuse his actions when he so wishes to attack her anytime he feels the urge to? Must she mean so little to him? Her heart will not heal so easy she knows, she has taken a real kick to the gut reminding her that fantasies are but that and should be left to the realm beyond this world.

Isabella stood up in the middle of her sorry thoughts and went to her room to pack her bag. She must get away from here, it has to be her only way to rid of this heartache drowning her in misery and self pity. Maybe London is not for her after all. Maybe she will never fit here like Elizabeth had.

At 6:10 am she was out the house and on her way back to the convent where he will not get to her.

*****

"My dear, what happened?" Peter asked bewildered at the sight of Freddie's flat: Glasses scattered everywhere, furniture in disarray with the chairs facing every which way. His cats feeding from the floor where their dish had flipped. Freddie sat at the piano playing the keys with only one finger.

"Don't tell me you just had one of those nights with your vicious temper?" Peter's hands flailing around for emphasis but still got no reaction from Freddie.

"Well let me see, hmmm...is there a problem at the studio?" Peter asked as he picked up Jerry to pet.

"Or another nasty press nosing around?" He sat down from where he could see Freddie's profile.

A little exasperated now, he continues, "Well is it about a boy?"

Freddie slammed his hand flat on the piano keys just as Peter said the last line making him jump a little. "Goodness! You're going to give me a heart attack! What is it with you lad?"

"It's not a boy." Freddie quipped.

"Oh, Is it Mary? Is she giving you a hard time, hmm?"

"Don't talk about Mary like that, she's not one of those waiting around on favors."

"And so, what is it then? Or who?!" Peter is now confused and he's not getting much from Freddie's answers.

Silence

Muffled breaths came stifling back tears.

"Freddie?.. ohh, dear, tell me what's wrong?" Peter walks to Freddie's side to hold his shoulder and lean a little to see his face. Jerry, set to the side in the rush.

"It's Isabella.." Freddie trying his best to stop himself from full on bellowing to tears.

"Who's Isabe...ohh, that girl you're with at the barrr? Why, anything she did to..?

Freddie turned to face Peter with a snap. "It's what I did! ...Oh Peter, why do I end up doing this all the time! What is with me and this temper!?"

"I can't help if you won't tell, out with it darling."

"It's just, I was, I and her we're getting along well and, and I saw her with her boss, other boss and I blew! I attacked her in her house like a mad dog!! You should have seen how terrified she was.. of me.."

Freddie stands pacing about at the living area as he explains."I didn't know what got to me, believe me Peter.. I wouldn't.. it's frightened even me! And now, I couldn't find her....where is she?"

Peter tries to absorb what Freddie was saying before going to him to sit him down on the sofa, "Well, have you tried calling her house?"

"I was just there! I, I went back after leaving her like some vicious monster but she was gone! I wanted to say sorry but, but she's gone.. I called the library, I called everywhere I know to call but no one knows!"

"Okey ... Maybe, she just wants to take a moment you know? Just to breathe and.."

"Well I don't want her to just go off.. we were.. there is this, I feel something Peter.. I don't want her to go.. she needs to know how sorry I am... I.."

"You do understand she has her own life right, Freddie? If you just be patient I'm sure when she comes back you could explain what you did and be sorry." To attempt at humour he added "And do pray this time, looks like you need it." He winks at him but Freddie was just too sullen to react.

Peter went on awhile retelling some funny and sad antics in his personal life, complete with all his theatrical expressions to try and lift Freddie's mood and stop him from his self loathing. He knows how serious it was with Freddie not calling him even once as Serita, the lady name Freddie dubbed  him with.

"Now, I've to run cause I have a flight to catch! Call you when I get to New York, be good now dear." Peter hugs Freddie and walks to the door. He shakes his head at the mess everywhere. Poor dear, very confused with himself, Peter thought.

With one final glance to Freddie, he put his eyeglasses and close the door behind to his friend who sat staring blankly on the floor.