Epilogue Part 1

20 Years Later

I loved my husband for fifteen years when he got sick and left us.  The twins were devastated, Luke was their world.  He was a fantastic father, and equally fantastic husband. 

In a matter of 15 years, he worked his tail off with Brad to make Infinity Resorts the top in its industry.  Somehow, he was able to have a successful career and never miss even one moment in our children's lives. 

He was at every soccer game, every chorus concert, and helped them excel in their studies. Yet, he missed their proms, high school graduations, and their first day of college. 

He may have been born to a drug-addicted mother without a penny to his name, but he died with more money than we could ever spend, and he was loved most of all.  He knew how to love us and take care of us.

We still lived in a modest home and never had the staff to help raise the girls.  We shared sleepless nights when the girls were infants, and we ate every dinner at home as a family.

The girls worked at the country club and learned young how to manage their own finances.  Now, I'm alone, because our girls are in New York.  We Skype almost every single night.

Years ago, I was married to my first love who completely disappeared from my life.  He relocated to New York and I rarely hear anything about him. 

I've transferred over to run Infinity Resorts after Luke's passing.  I took his place as CEO until our daughter Claire is ready to take over.  Our other daughter, Evelyn, plans to go to medical school.

It's summer, and I wanted to take my girls for a vacation in Greece where their father and I fell in love.  We are staying at the same resort where Luke and I started our journey.

I spent my life in love with two men.  Gavin was always in my heart and will be for all eternity.

My girls are walking along the beach and, of course, every man had their eyes on them. 

I was reading my book while the girls flirt with boys their own age, when I felt a presence.

"Wow, they're you all over again."  I look up, and I couldn't believe my eyes.  It's been 20 years since I last saw my former husband.

"Gavin?"

I hopped up and hugged him.  "What are you doing in Greece?" 

"It's just a business trip.  I was very sorry to hear of Luke's passing.  He was a great man."

"Thank you, it's hard to believe it's already been five years.  Sit and tell me what you've been up to." 

He sat next to me.  "Nothing really, I've led a quiet life.  Relocated to New York and ran the company."

"You remarried?"  I had to ask.

He shook his head.  "No, there was only one girl for me."

He looked at me and I could feel my heart race.

I jumped when I saw Claire fall flat on her face.  Gavin laughed, and I know exactly why.

"She's the spitting image of her mother."  He chuckled.

"Yes, and Evelyn is her father all over again.  I saw Keegan last week and he seems happy."

"Yeah, he has really exceeded our expectations.  He has a girlfriend who I adore, and he works beside Craig in our legal department."

"That's what I heard, and he gets around very good."

"Yep, he has a ton of upper body strength.  He can lift more than I can now."

I looked at the man I once married.  His salt and pepper hair and a few more laugh lines don't make him look his age.  Quite younger actually.

"You look good, barely even-aged." I complimented.

"You're even more beautiful than I remember." He looked away, and I can see him blush.  He's nervous because I see his hands shaking a bit.

"Gavin?"

He turned back toward me.  "Have dinner with me tonight?" 

"I would love to." He replied, just as the girls walked up.

"Claire, Evelyn, this is Gavin Hardwick.  Gavin, these are my daughters.  Claire is at NYU for business, and Evelyn in pre-med and also at NYU." 

"That's my old stomping grounds.  How do you like New York?" 

"It's okay, I prefer Nebraska,"  Evelyn says.

"I love it."  Says Claire.

"Mom, we were hoping you wouldn't mind if we had dinner with those boys here at the hotel restaurant?"

"I've actually made dinner plans of my own, but please don't leave the resort.  We are in a foreign country and it's just not safe to trust strangers." They both bent down and kissed my cheek and took off toward the resort.

"Can I swing by and pick you up at seven?" He asked, and I agreed, then gave him my room number.

I went up to the room to get ready.

"Mom, wasn't that your first husband?"  Evelyn asked.

"Yes, I was so surprised to see him here,"  I answered.

"Mom, I really hope things go well tonight.  I just want to see you happy, and Dad would be happy to see you moving on."

I was ready at seven on the dot after listening to my daughters dating advice for an hour.  Gavin showed up looking as handsome as ever with a big smile on his face. 

I took his arm, and we left the room and walked to the elevator.  He let me on first, but, dammit, I tripped over my own foot and he caught me from behind. 

Oh my God, that creepy feeling.

I shivered, and he chuckled behind me.  "Did that creep you out?" 

I looked back at him and nodded.

"Good." He chuckled, and let go of me.

We talked about the time I straddled him and fell out of the car.  He said the boob squeeze was on purpose, and we both laughed. 

He took me to the boardwalk, but I didn't mention how it made me think of Luke.  A lot of things remind me of Luke, it's a daily battle.

He placed his hand on the small of my back and guided me into the restaurant.  I shivered again, and he chuckled.  "Some things never change."

We laughed through dinner and it was an amazing evening.  He asked if he could see me again, and, of course, I said yes, after I asked him when he saw Claudia last.

"I haven't seen or heard from her in 20 years."