Bob

Dinner was kind of a success.  I wasn't expecting Candace to be so underhanded by bringing Claudia.  When she came downstairs, it was obvious she had been crying.

They dropped me off at home and there was no goodnight kiss because eyes more innocent than mine were watching. 

"Bye, Kori!  I'll see you tomorrow."  Keegan giggled.

"I can't wait!" I winked at him and said bye to Gavin.  I went to shut the door and Keegan spoke out.  "She's pretty, Daddy."

"Oh, don't I know it, Son." The door shut and I walked to my door.  I'm to come over for breakfast tomorrow and was given strict instructions from Keegan to bring my swimsuit. 

How am I supposed to sleep at night without Gavin, now?  I miss sleeping in his arms.  He has Keegan till Friday, so there won't be any all-night cuddles for almost a week.

I tossed and turned until I heard my phone vibrate.  I picked it up and saw a text from Gavin.

"I hope I didn't wake you if you're sleeping, but I can't sleep without you." 

I smiled and decided to call him.

"I can't sleep either,"  I said as soon as he picked up.

"Hearing your voice is nice, but I wish you were here."  He replied.

"Is Keegan asleep? He seemed wired when you dropped me off."  I asked.

"Yeah, he fell asleep in the car.  I'm sorry again about everything."  He said.

"It's not your fault," I replied.

"I'm falling hard for you."  He said, and I smiled.

"Dito." I sat up and played with a loose thread on my bedspread.

"I guess nobody scared you off this weekend?  You were very good with Keegan."

"No, Keegan was great.  He's funny about my Dad.  They're like two peas in a pod." I answered, and he chuckled.

"I liked your dad.  He's good with Keegan.  You didn't tell him about Keegan's Cerebral Palsy, did you?"

"Umm, I don't think so.  Sorry if that was wrong, but it never came up when Dad and I talked."

He took a deep breath, I could hear it over the phone.

"Usually, that's the first thing people say about him.  They don't describe him as witty, happy, and a good boy.  He's always described as disabled."

"Well, he is all the things you just described.  That boy has so much love to give and he's a miracle.  Plus, my legs aren't much better than his legs.  We're both vertically challenged." 

Gavin laughed. 

"I love that about you.  I get to save the day a lot when we are together.  When was your last floor assault?"

I sighed.

"Yesterday,  I met Brad for lunch and slipped on some ice someone dropped at the restaurant.  It was so embarrassing." 

"Its cute, but I do worry about you."  He said.

"You have every reason to worry." We both laughed.

I yawned, and put it on speaker mode.  "You sound like you're falling asleep.  I'll see you in the morning."

"Can't wait," I replied.

"Good night, Miss Heart." 

"Good night, Mr. Hardwick." 

I arrived at Gavin's house before 10 am, and Keegan led me to the dining room.  "Daddy is on an important phone call." He gets around like an expert on this crutches.  I heard what sounded like paws hitting the floor and an adorable french bulldog approached me wagging his tail.  "Who is this cute guy?" 

"That's Bob, and he was my grandma Hardwicks doggie.  She gave him to me when she died.  We are best buddies."  He fidgeted in his chair.  "He thinks he's a person." He giggles.

"The mean lady was here this morning and she said she's sending him to a farm because he's weird like me." He pouted.

"What mean lady? That's a terrible thing to say."

He just shrugged his shoulders.

Claudia?

"She just left, but was here when I woke up."  He is halfway climbed up on the table.  He can't sit still, and I can see he's more hurt than he lets on.

I looked up when Gavin entered and he was as white a ghost.  Something's happening, and it doesn't look good.

He kissed his son's head, then walked over and did the same to me before he sat down.  He didn't say a word, and it's not like he is going to talk to me in front of Keegan.

My stomach turned.  I try to keep Stella's words close and just stomach breakfast.  I think I was even introduced to some of his staff, but I'm zoned out.

"Dad, is Claudia really sending Bob to the farm?" 

He looked at me, then to Keegan.  "Claudia?  When did you see Claudia?  Did she say that last night?" 

"No, she was here this morning when I got up." He answered.

Gavin got up and went into the kitchen and asked someone to come into the dining room.

"Sir, Kathleen said you wanted to see me?"

"Yes Jane, was Claudia here this morning?" 

Oh, her name is Jane.

"Yes, sir.  Only for a few minutes when you were showering."

"What was she doing here?" 

Jane looked at him with confusion.  "Sir, she said she was going to see you and she disappeared.  I presumed she was with you."

"Keegan, was she in your room?"  Gavin asked the little man that looked sad.

"Yes, she said you and Mom won't have time for me much longer and Bob was going to the farm.  She said when my little brother comes, he will be able to run and play."

I could see Gavin's anger and it was a scary sight. 

"Please tell Kathleen to have Jefferson come in and see me.  The next time you see Claudia Epperson, she is not allowed in our home.  Do you understand?" 

"Yes, sir."  She quickly left the room and my focus is on Keegan.  I feel so sorry for the little guy.

"Keegan, I need you to listen to me.  Mom and I will always have time for you.  There is no little brother coming, and Bob stays with us.  Do you understand?" Gavin got up and walked over to his little boy and kneeled down. 

"Keegan, you will always be mine and Mom's top priority.  Please don't think anything Claudia said was true.  I recently found out about her lies and she tried to hurt Kori's feelings too." Keegan looked up at me and I nodded that it's true.