Coward

Six weeks later, he sat across from me in my living room and smiled ear to ear.

"What?" I asked.

"Brad offered me an opportunity." 

"What kind of opportunity?" I asked.

He got up and sat next to me on the couch.  "To start a new company with him.  We will be building our own resorts, and I'm going to be running it." He said.

"That's amazing! Is that what you want?" I asked.

"Yes, and I will be transferred here to Chicago."

"What?  Please tell me you're not joking! Really?  We can be together?" 

"Every day." He says, and I jumped into his arms and kissed him.

"I'll be back Thursday night, so I can be with you Friday.  I swear you've made me the happiest man ever." He kissed me again.

"Will you do something for me?" He asked.

"Anything," I whispered back.

"Go home with me after the appointment on Friday.  Not to New York, but to Nebraska.  My parents want to meet you, and I have something I need to do while we are there.  We can come back on Monday and be back to work on Tuesday."

"I'd love to, Luke.  It's kind of inevitable anyway, right?"  He kissed me again.

"You've got a big day tomorrow.  Are you sure you don't want to wait till Friday and I can go with you?" He asked.

"I'm sure,  I feel like I've waited forever." 

I was forced once again to say goodbye, but this time it was a little easier, now that our biggest problem will soon be solved.  We will all be together.

The next day, I stood in front of Gavin's building and took a deep breath.  Brenda had it set up so I could go straight up.  She gave me a big huge hug.  "Good luck, he's in one of his moods."

"Thanks." 

I walked back and tapped on his door.  "What?"  He yelled, so I opened the door.

There he sat at his computer, and didn't even look away from the screen.

"Whatever it is, I'm not in the mood, so just lay..."  He looked up.

"Kori?" 

"Hello, Gavin."

"Are you okay?" He asked, and I smiled. "I'm great, how are you?"

"That's a stupid question don't you think?"  He asked.

"I'm not here to argue."  I pulled the large envelope out of my purse.  "I'm here to ask you to sign these papers." I laid it on his desk.

"What are they?" He opened up the envelope. 

"My request for an annulment through the Catholic church has been granted.  All I need is your signature."

He threw them down on his desk and stood up.  "You actually think I'm going to sign those damn things? Our marriage through the church is our last link, and I'm not ready to say goodbye."

He walked toward me.  "Please, Kori.  Don't make me sign those."  He pulled me into him.  "Gavin stop, I need this for my own peace of mind.  Please, stop."

He brushed his lips against mine and took my breath away.

"It's not too late." He whispered.

"I love you, Gavin, but I can't live like that, always wondering when you will let her drop the ball on us again," I whispered.