66

I hope you enjoy! Please comment/vote

<><><><><>

Jo

We had been on the road for days. It was over five hundred miles to Noah's family compound in Virginia. We were making runs as we went for food and supplies and we stopped every night to make camp. The two vehicles were pretty cramped quarters and by the end of every day everyone was ready to get out and stretch their legs. 

I was feeling better and was riding shotgun for Rick as he drove. I was still taking the pain killers everyday but it made it so I was able to move more freely. I still wasn't up to fighting just yet and it had me on edge with tight, nervous energy. I pulled out one of my smaller knives and started rolling and flipping it with my right hand. 

Rick glanced over at me and arched a brow then he turned his attention back to the road. I tossed the knife up in the air and caught it easily in my left and proceeded to do the same toss and rolls with the blade. 

Noah leaned forward between the seats watching me with keen interest. I glanced back at him but didn't stop. I didn't need to look to work the blade. He frowned at me. "Where did you learn to do those tricks?" 

I heard Abraham shift beside him. I glanced at him and Abraham and Rosita in the middle seat. Tyreese and Carl had Judith in the cargo area today. I looked to Rick and the smile that had been on his face fell and he turned his attention to the road. 

"I-" I pressed my lips into a hard line. "I taught myself," I said tightly. Noah looked confused. I saw him glance at Tyreese who shook his head subtly. I rolled the knife across the back of my knuckles one final time and slammed it into it's sheath before I turned in my seat. 

"We don't trust easily," I said unnecessarily but Noah nodded thoughtfully. I stared at him as I spoke and while I could tell it made him uncomfortable I didn't look away. "I was brought in by a man who called himself The Governor. He propositioned me. I turned him down and he pushed the subject," out of the corner of my eye I saw Abraham close a hand into a fist. I glanced back at Rick and he was gripping the steering wheel tightly. 

I cleared my throat and turned back to Noah, seeing in his eyes he knew what I meant. "I fought him off with a steak knife from the fancy dinner he made trying to seduce me. What I didn't know was the town was fond of gladiator matches between it's best fighters and sometimes against Walkers. All the other fighters were there by choice, I wasn't. Eventually he had me fighting herds of Walkers with nothing but two steak knives for everyone's entertainment." 

Noah stared back into my eyes, his were wide with shock. He glanced back at Tyreese who was looking down at Judith in his hands. Noah turned back to me. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. 

I shook my head. "It's easier to talk about as time passes. You gotta let go of the past." I said simply and I turned back to face the front. 

Abraham caught my eye as I turned and gave me a nod of respect. I snorted and shook my head. It wasn't something to be proud of, it was just something I survived. When I settled back into my seat I felt something warm on my hand. I flinched and looked down to see Rick reaching over. He gave my hand a quick squeeze and a reassuring smile before bringing his hand back to the wheel. I frowned and looked out my window. 

The sun was starting to set when Rick pulled over to the side of the road. I glanced in the passenger side mirror and saw the white van do the same. We all piled out. Abraham and Rosita stepped off into the woods together in the gathering dusk. I snorted as I watched them go. I was pretty sure they weren't getting firewood.