71

I hope you enjoy this update! Please comment/vote!

<><><><><>

Jo

The next morning was a quiet one. I slept later than I had in a long time. When I woke everyone else looked exhausted and shell shocked from the night before. I groaned as I sat up, stretching my muscles. I was getting too old to be sleeping on barn floors. I scrubbed a hand over my hair, it was long enough to tuck behind my ears now, but I could still feel it sticking up oddly.

Rick sat against one wall watching Judith play on the dirt floor. I stood and stretched. Daryl was sitting behind me adjusting the tension on his crossbow. He lifted his chin when I met his eyes. I moved over to my backpack and pulled out one of the bottles I had filled yesterday. I took a sip and handed it Daryl. He set aside his crossbow and took it from me.

I heard the barn door creak open behind me. I turned. "Hey, everyone...this is Aaron," Maggie called cautiously from the door.

I spun around, my kukri already in my hand. Maggie stood uncertainly in the doorway, a middle aged new comer behind her. He flashed an uncertain smile and gave a small shy wave. Rick and Daryl were on their feet in seconds, both with weapons in hand. Rick stood in front of Maggie, his gun in one hand and Judith in the other. He stared Aaron down, his whole stance aggressive.

Daryl stalked to the door, stepping around Sasha. He stepped out the door and looked both ways. Once satisfied he stepped back in and jerked the doors closed behind him, pulling the chain tight. He lifted his crossbow to point at the back of Aaron's head.

Maggie looked uncertainly at Rick, hesitating as though she were starting to reconsider her decision to bring the stranger here. "We met him outside," she was speaking in an overly calm voice. I glanced from the stranger to Rick. His eyes were hard and dangerous but it didn't stop Maggie. "He's by himself. We took his weapons and we took his gear."

Daryl grunted and I knew he didn't trust Maggie and Sasha to be thorough enough. I certainly didn't either. Neither of them were in the best place right now. Daryl held his crossbow out to me. I stepped over to him, sliding my kukri back into it's sheath. Stepping to reach it brought me closer to Aaron but he didn't look like much of a threat. At least not one I couldn't handle. I lifted the crossbow but kept it pointed at Aaron's chest. I didn't have much experience with it and didn't trust my aim. Daryl patted Aaron down roughly.

Aaron closed his eyes and flinched at Daryl's rough handling but he didn't complain. Aaron was dressed well. He was clean and well groomed. His hair was trimmed and his nails were clean. His pants and boots were neat and barely had any dirt on the bottoms. He had a permanent camp and it was a strong one.

Once satisfied Daryl stepped back and nodded to Rick. I handed Daryl back his crossbow and we all stood in an uncomfortable moment of silence. I wasn't sure what to think. This man didn't look like a threat, he sort of looked like a high school science teacher.

"Hi," Aaron greeted awkwardly.He flashed a weak smile but then shook his head to himself as though he regretted the action.

Judith started crying and Rick handed her off to Carl. Carl wrapped his arms around his baby sister as he glared at Aaron.

"It's nice to meet you," Aaron said taking a single step towards Rick holding out his hand. Everyone flinched, their hands going for their weapons. Aaron's eyes widened, though it was Rick cocking his Python that halted Aaron's steps.

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick asked ignoring Aaron and looking to Maggie who now stood behind him.

Maggie stepped forward bringing a snub nosed revolver. She handed it to Rick who checked it over. Once he was satisfied he finally turned his attention back to Aaron.