129

<><><><><>

Jesus left Hilltop with us. We all piled into two cars. Jesus rode shot gun and directed Rick as he drove the first car. Daryl and I sat in the back seat with Michonne behind Jesus and Rick. The silence in the car was thick with tension and when I shifted and glanced at Daryl he was staring out the window. He seemed different somehow, further away. I had no idea what he had been through however, and we hadn't had a moment alone together to talk about it. His whole body radiated tension. Part of me wanted to reach over and take his hand, but his were gripping this knees so tightly his knuckles were white. I looked over at Michonne and she too was watching Daryl with concern. She glanced back at me but I only shrugged. I didn't know what to think. 

The car slowing caught my attention. Rick parked in an empty parking lot and he and Jesus climbed out first. I leaned forward to look out the windshield, but I wasn't able to see much from the middle seat. I bumped Daryl with my hip. He startled and looked down at me. I arched a brow and jerked my chin towards the door. 

He nodded and climbed out, holding the door while I followed. 

"It's called the kingdom?" Rick asked in disbelief. 

Rick and Daryl had turned their attention to Jesus, demanding more information on this group. I left them to it, pacing a slow circle around our cars, keeping my eyes on all the entrance points. I didn't like this lot. There were too many buildings much too close and plenty of growth that would allow for easy cover if this new group decided to ambush us. 

"Yeah," Jesus responded and when he saw Rick's incredulous look he shrugged. "I didn't name it," he said holding his hands up defensively. He appeared relaxed, so whoever these people were, Jesus considered them friends, or he at least trusted them. 

Rick nodded suspiciously. "How much farther?" 

"Well, technically we're already here," he hesitated and a smirk crossed his face. "I mean, we're always here, but here we are, at The Kingdom," he said gesturing around himself. "Well, it's outer edge." 

Daryl stepped up, his hands gripped into fists at his side. "Hey, what the hell are we waiting on?" he grumbled. 

Jesus smiled and pointed towards a driveway the was flanked by trees. "We're waiting for them."

I heard them before they came into view, so I was facing the driveway when the two horses came trotting into view. Each was ridden by a man wearing what looked like paintball gear as armor. 

"Who dares trespass on the sovereign lands of the-" the man hesitated as they approached. "Oh shit, Jesus is that you?" 

The second man pulled his horse in front of the firsts and glared down at Jesus. "Who are all these people Paul?" he demanded as his horse shifted restlessly beneath him. 

"Hey Richard," Jesus greeted, not at all deterred by the man's gruff greeting. "It's nice to see you."

The man seemed to deflate a little. "It's good to see you to," he finally agreed. "Your friends, who are they?" he asked, his eyes flickering over each of us. I kept my hands loose at my side, while I wasn't trying to appear weak, I also didn't want them to feel threatened. 

Jesus glanced over his shoulder at Rick. "This is Rick Grimes, he's the leader of a like minded community. These are some of his people. We would like to request an audience with King Ezekiel."

Richard swung down and approached us. He had a gun in his hand and I tensed, shifting my weight restlessly. Richard didn't notice me however, his entire focus was for the people in the cars. He cocked his head so he was able to see through the windshield. "Get out of the car," he ordered.