130

Hey guys, I hope you enjoy the update. 

<><><><><>

Jo

King Ezekiel and his court disappeared out of the wings of the stage, leaving the rest of us standing in the auditorium. I glanced around at the others and could tell they were all still feeling a little overwhelmed. I didn't blame them, Ezekiel and the tiger had to be one of the weirdest things I had seen in this world.

Once the others were gone Morgan stepped forward, his mouth was set in a grim line as he approached Rick. I frowned at him. While Ezekiel had said he would consider our request it was obvious he put a lot of stock in Morgan's opinion. Rick lifted an eye brow at Morgan as he approached. Beside me I could feel Daryl's tension. I glanced at him, but he was watching Morgan with narrow, distrustful eyes.

"I really am sorry," Morgan told Rick and he looked around at the rest of us. "For all of your losses," he said grimly.

"Yeah, well if you really were you would do something," Rosita's voice snapped from behind me. I glanced over my shoulder at her with narrowed eyes at her bratty attitude. There might still be a chance for us to convince Morgan the benefits of helping us, but not if we treated him with hostility. Which seemed to be Rosita's default emotion these days.

Morgan glanced from her and back to the rest of us and then slowly shook his head as though we would never understand his reasoning. Maybe that was true. I knew that he disliked violence and that he wanted to believe there was another way to deal with the Saviors, but he hadn't seen what we saw. He didn't know what they were capable of or how far they were willing to go. In order to win we had to be willing to go farther than them. We had to either kill them or be scarier than they could ever imagine being. I rested my hand on the knife at my waist. It had been the philosophy that had kept me alive since Woodbury. Now the others were going to have to follow my example.

"I'll show you where you can clean up before the feast," Morgan said, jerking his head towards the doors.

Rick only nodded, watching his old friend sadly. I couldn't imagine what he must be thinking or feeling. It was one thing to be turned down by a stranger like Ezekiel, but it was a completely different thing to be turned down by someone who's life you had saved, someone you had taken in and protected.

The group followed. While everyone was still interested in the new community they were definitely more subdued. It seemed as though they, like Rick, thought we had already lost. Morgan led us out of the auditorium and across the main square. Daryl and I trailed after the others. 

As I stepped out of the door I came face to face with Richard. His lined face was grim as he regarded each of us in turn. He stopped when his eyes landed on Daryl and I. He looked us up and down and nodded to each of us in respect. He wanted this. He wanted to fight The Saviors and join us, but he was stuck. He had thrown in his lot with a man who played at being king and he had to abide by that decision.

I nodded my head grimly at him. I wasn't sure if he understood, but I hoped he did. He seemed like a decent enough man, and Jesus trusted him. So I was willing to as well. He seemed to have authority here, even if he didn't seem to have the ear of the king. 

Morgan led us to one of the far buildings. We walked past people milling through the main floor and up to the second. "This floor isn't in use..." he said gesturing to the long, empty hallway. "You all can get cleaned up here," Morgan said. "Dinner is in a little over an hour. There's a bell. It's in the building west of the auditorium." He looked over the group. "You're safe here," he promised. Then he nodded his head and left us.