14

Jo

I followed Daryl away from Woodbury. I should have put up more of a fight and stuck to my guns to exact my revenge, but to be honest I was just too tired. I was tired of feeling like I had to be strong and in charge and I trusted Daryl. He guided me out from under the rail car, my bag of found things in one hand and his other hand at the small of my back. His crossbow was slung over his shoulder.

The rain was still pounding down so we didn't have to worry about being seen. Though, as we disappeared into the woods I had a new respect for him being able to track me in this weather. With no moon the forest was completely black. The rain was less intense under the boughs of the trees but the only glimpses of light came from the Lightning that ripped across the sky.

Once we were clear of Woodbury Daryl swung my bag over his shoulder and brought his crossbow around into his hands. I let him lead, following only a couple feet behind. It was unnerving being in the forest like this. The storm was raging so loudly there was no way we would hear one of Them and I could just barely make out Daryl's silhouette in front of me.

I felt completely exposed and I dropped my hand down to my knife. I wrapped my fist around the grip while I forced myself to take deep even breaths. I could feel myself slipping, the stress and fear of the situation was catching up to me. I stared hard at his shoulders reminding myself time and again that he was my friend. That he and I had faced plenty of Them together and he would have my back. I reminded myself how we fought side by side in the forest the first time we met. How we had gotten each other out of the CDC, and how in sync we moved clearing the nursing home.

Daryl was not my enemy.

Something grabbed me in the dark. Their arms wrapped around my torso and jerked me back against their chest, one if their hands clamped over my mouth to keep me silent. I felt them slam back against a tree and I lost it.

I couldn't think. I couldn't breathe. All I could do was fight. I struggled against their hold and their other arm came up and pinned mine to my sides so I couldn't reach my knife. My breath came in short sharp pants as I tried stomping on their instep but they tangled one of their legs around mine rendering me completely immobile.

It took another full minute of struggling before I realized their cheek was pressed against the side of my head and there were words. Even knowing this I continued to flail for a few more seconds before the meaning of the words began to take shape.

"Shh, shh," he was whispering over and over, his lips pressed against my ear to keep his voice as low as possible. "Jo, Jo," he was saying my name. And then I realized that he wasn't actually hurting me. "It's fine, I'm not him." He was promising me in my ear. His voice broke over the last word and it was enough to catch my attention.

Once I relaxed and stopped fighting he relaxed a degree, but a second later I heard the moaning of Them. He held me in gentle hands against his chest on the backside on the tree as a herd began to move by. I tried counting but the thunder made it difficult and I was facing the wrong way to see. I gave up after I counted to fifteen twice.

My breathing hitched again as I realized how much trouble we were in if they found us. Daryl noticed and rubbed up and down my arm in slow soothing lines. When the next round of thunder rumbled he pressed his lips against my ear once more. "We're fine." He promised, but I could hear the tension in his voice.

It was my fault he was out here and my fault he was so tense. If I lost it and bolted or lost it and attacked him we were both toast. Even the thought of running alone through the black, rain soaked forest was enough to make me wrap my hands around his forearm and hold it tighter against my stomach. He tensed as soon as I touched his arm, but he didn't pull away. I hoped he got the message. I was in control and I was fine.