94

I was gone for SO long! I'm so so so sorry guys. I feel horribly guilty so I decided to make it up to you ;)

I took a couple days away while I decided which way to take the story. I really hope you enjoy the update!

Thank you everyone who weighed in on the question posed at the end of the last update. I appreciate your opinions and you taking the time answer. I will give a more detailed explanation when my decision reveals itself. I just hope you all continue to enjoy the story regardless of which way I take them!!!!

Please comment/vote!

<><><><><>

Daryl

Jo dropped off to sleep fairly quickly after that. I wasn't surprised, she said she hadn't slept in over a day and she looked exhausted. She draped herself halfway across my chest, tangling her legs with mine and was out cold in minutes. With how tired she was I didn't think she would have trouble sleeping through the night.

I couldn't say the same for me. I couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to do something. I couldn't shake the itch between my shoulder blades that had been there since Aaron and I fell into that damn trap. I dozed a few times but whenever I fell asleep I jerked awake to check on her. Every time I woke up she was snuggled safe into my side. My brain kept going about those assholes only fifty miles away and what they did to that camp we found. What they did to that girl we found. I tightened my grip on Jo and buried my face in her hair. She was so warm and peaceful and she smelled like home.

I shifted for probably the hundredth time and Jo murmured in her sleep. I froze, worried I was going to wake her. I tried closing my eyes again but I just kept seeing those bodies over and over again. I slipped out of bed, carefully pulling away from her. I moved my pillow sideways and tucked it against her hoping it would help keep her sleeping. She grumbled in her sleep but soon slung an arm around the pillow and pulled it to her chest.

Satisfied she was all right I stepped out of the room. Before I knew it, I was pacing tight lines across the rec room, running a hand through my hair. I needed to talk to Rick about the camp we found, I needed to make him understand how dangerous those people were.

I looked around the basement. I regretted choosing a room down here. It felt exposed and dangerous. At the time I was only thinking that it was removed from the others, with more privacy, but now it felt vulnerable. There was no way to see someone coming and we could easily be cornered down here.

I paced another line. I wasn't sure who was on watch tonight, I hoped it was one of our people. Earlier that evening one of the idiots from Alexandria had already left the gate open and allowed a Walker to get in. It would be child's play for those assholes to get in here. We were vulnerable.

I scrubbed at my face and took a deep breath. I needed to get a hold of myself. My emotions were all over the place and I was overwhelmed.

I knew Jo loved me, I had known for a long time. It was no secret, it was just a matter of us working up the courage to tell each other. Nothing had changed, and yet I couldn't shake the feeling that everything had changed. The urge to protect Jo was like a fire burning through my veins and it wasn't just from the Walkers that were out there.

Jo was able to take care of herself. Hell she would probably outlive us all. Be the last one standing. For the first time I smiled when I thought about Beth. But it wasn't me who had been made for living in this world. Jo had struggled while I was gone though. She had seemed fine when I left, or I wouldn't have gone. Made me wonder if maybe she needed me as much as I needed her.