34

Daryl

I spent nearly half an hour searching the prison for Tyreese. I was way past frustrated when I finally did find him. We were on a clock here, the people we were trying to help were on a clock.

"There you are. Took me damn near forever to find ya. Watcha doing?"

Tyreese was standing in the small area outside the doors to A block. His face had swollen up bad from where Rick hit him. His arms were hanging loosely at his sides but I could still see how tense he was. Wouldn't take much to set him off again.

"Somebody needs to keep watch," he snapped. He was still pissed at me. It made me hesitate. Maybe Michonne was wrong, and this was a bad idea to invite him along on the run. The last thing we needed was more emotional garbage to wade through.

"Man I get it," I said stepping up towards him, "I wanna find them too. Put a bolt in them for what they did."

Tyreese turned away from me, looking through the glass at the people inside.

When he didn't say anything I kept talking. "These people are cut off. Ain't nobody gett'in in and out without a whole bunch of people seeing them."

Tyreese turned and glared at me. "Sasha's in there. I ain't going no where." He frowned at me. "Jo's in there, if it wasn't her like you said, ain't you worried some one might get to her? Ain't you worried about your girl's safety?"

I felt like he punched me in the gut, of course I was worried about Jo. It was all I could do to not be sitting in that cell beside her. I was instantly pissed he questioned me on that. I stepped forward into Tyreese's space. "This stand'in guard ain't gonna do neither of them no good unless we come back with the meds." I said pointing my finger in his face.

Tyreese turned away from me again, pushing his hands against the glass.

I nodded behind his back. "All right," I turned away from him. "We're gassing up by the front gate in case you change your mind." And I walked away from him.

<><><><><>

Jo

I woke, startled awake by unfamiliar surroundings. The jerk made me cough and I couldn't stop. It forced its way up my throat until my throat felt raw and bleeding. A warm hand cupped my shoulder and when I finally quit I looked around. I was in a cell. I tried to jerk up, to get on my feet, remembering all those times I had woken from unconsciousness in a cell but my body wouldn't respond, it couldn't respond, it was too weak. The feeling of helplessness roiled through my body and my already struggling lungs tried to fly into a full blown panic attack.

"Jo," a kindly voice said. "Jo!" It called again and warm, dry hands cupped my face.

I blinked a few times, expecting Daryl to be standing there, pulling me away from the nightmares of my past, but it wasn't Daryl, it was Hershel. And as I looked around the clean, empty cell of A block, also known as death row, I knew I had entered a whole new nightmare.

<><><><><>

Daryl

I was just tossing the last of my shit in the charger when Bob came walking down from tower two with gas cans in his hands. "Everything look all right?" He called, setting them down beside the car.

"Yeah, Zack kept this thing running pretty good."

"This is Zack's car?" Bob asked. When I pulled back and looked at him he was staring at the car sadly as it him of the dead teenager.