18

Jo

The cell block looked like a happier place in the daylight and it wasn't empty. Maggie, Glenn and Hershel were all doing things. I could hear them in the cells but I kept my whole focus on calmly walking up the steps. Daryl and Carol each had a cell up here and I identified them as I passed. It was easy to pick out Daryl's, absolutely nothing personal, just weapons strewn about.

I took a deep breath and walked to the next one. This cell was empty, so was the one beyond. I felt this decision was more important than it appeared and stood between the two debating for longer than was strictly necessary.

In the end I went to the one on the end, as far from everyone as I could get. It felt safer. I went in and was relieved to see it was fairly clean. Just an empty cell with an empty bunk. I set the bowl of water down on the small table, set Daryl's vest on the mattress and looked around.

I spun in a slow circle with the towel gripped in my fist waiting for...whatever it was that happened to happen. I didn't know if it was a panic attack or what. But it didn't come. I left the door ajar just in case. I was far enough down the block that I would hear anyone approaching long before they got to me.

I unlaced my tall boots and slowly stripped out of Daryl's shirt and the black shorts. When I looked down at myself I couldn't believe the amount of blood that was still caked in places. I had been out in the rain, I shuddered to think how much gore had covered me for there to still be this much.

My breathing started to kick up a notch as my brain started filing through my kills since we escaped Woodbury. I was gasping by the time I remembered sitting in a nest of dead Walkers where Daryl found me. It was amazing he hadn't just walked away right then. When I had been in the ring I lamented not being insane yet, but now out here I felt a whole lot closer.

I put both hands shoulder height against the wall and hung my head trying desperately to get control.

I was fine.

Stop, reset.

I was fine.

I grabbed the rag and began scrubbing at my arms and torso as hard as I could. I sucked in a breath as I realized I had a gash along my side that I hadn't noticed. It didn't look too bad upon further examination and I was pretty sure it was already closing.

"Jo dear?" It was Hershel's voice. He was close, must have of been halfway down the block. How had I not heard him climbing the stairs? He used crutches and only had one leg for craps sake.

"I'm fine," I called though my voice was strained. "I'm just getting cleaned up. I'll be out in a minute." I didn't sound very fine and I knew it but I managed to choke out all the socially required things. I just hoped that was enough to keep him away.

"Okay," Hershel agreed and he didn't sound like he was any closer than before. "I don't know if you remember but I have medical training." He was speaking in that calm, soothing voice of his that made everyone else listen to him. "I just wanted to know if you had been injured at all or needed anything."

I frowned at his words. It seemed odd that he was coming to me now. Hadn't he offered yesterday?

I finished washing my arms and scrubbed the blood off my neck and chest. I looked down and it was better. At least there was no visible blood anymore.

I thought I remembered him talking to me yesterday, but now I wasn't so sure. Had I been that out of it yesterday? I didn't remember feeling out of control.

I pulled my shorts and boots back on then slid back into Daryl's shirt, tying it off at the base of my spine so it was more fitted. I peaked my head around the corner of the cell. Hershel was standing near the door to Daryl's cell calmly waiting.