49

Hey guys, its a little bit shorter of a chapter but we are coming into Terminus!

Please Vote/Comment

<><><><><>

Jo

When I woke up I was alone. I jerked up, terrified the whole night had been a dream and I was still alone. When I sat up however, my head pounded and a large leather jacket slipped down to pool around my waist. Two off-white wings looked up at me. I fisted my hands in the jacket and let out a shuddering sigh of relief as I hugged it to my chest.

"Morning," a hoarse voice called to me. I turned around and found Rick sitting ten feet away. He looked haggard and like he hadn't slept.

"Morning," I said giving his a grim smile.

His eyes were haunted from what happened the night before. I didn't blame him, I would be too for a long time. Yet I couldn't help but be thankful all the same. I found them and I wasn't alone anymore and that meant more to me than anything. It was horrible but I would move on and get over it. I had been hurt far worse down in that cell.

Rick returned my grim smile with a nod and jerked his chin to the left. I followed his gaze and spotted Daryl going through a large pile of gear. I nodded my thanks and struggled to my feet. I was sore and stiff and one side of my face felt tender. When I was up I took a couple breaths to steady myself.

I gripped Daryl's jacket in one hand and approached him. For some reason I suddenly felt shy and a little ashamed of the way I had reacted last night. I should have been able to hold it together instead of falling apart on him when he may have needed me.

He heard me coming of course and stood to face me. I handed him his jacket back, it was a chilly morning and I felt bad he had given it to me. He shrugged it on without a word. His eyes were exhausted and I knew he hadn't slept. I knew him well enough to know that after what happened he would have stayed up all night keeping watch.

In the light of day I could see his lip was split and he had a black eye. I reached for his chin. I wanted to turn his head so I could get a better look at the damage. He held my gaze and there were so many emotions behind his eyes I couldn't begin to sift through them all. I licked my lips to say something but he turned away from me and pulled back before I would have touched him.

Hurt surged through me. I had thought of nothing but him the entire time I was gone. I had been so relieved to see him last night and in my moment of vulnerability I had depended him. I thought we were moving towards something we both wanted. But now in the light of day he was pulling away from me again. I ground my teeth in frustration.

He moved back to the pile of gear and started going through the bags with brisk efficiency. He handled the stuff roughly, jerking open zippers and throwing aside things that would be useless to us. Everything about his body language warned me to not engage.

Sighing I went over to help him. Now wasn't the time for emotions. Emotions and feelings would always have to come second in this world. This was about survival.

I took my bag and dragged it off to the side. We sorted everything out, making a pack for everyone. Daryl took the biggest, loading it down with the most supplies. I almost said something to him, but the look on his face made me bite my tongue.

I shifted uncomfortably. I didn't know if talking would make things better or worse. I just wanted to help him. I didn't know what he had been through. Whatever it was, it had changed him. Now it felt like there was a wall between us and I didn't know how to tear it back down.