9

Please Comment/Vote! Thanks for reading!

<><><><><>

Jo

"I don't know why you're being like this," Kate sniffed in irritation. "You never know, if you let yourself you might even have fun."

I glanced at her reflection in the mirror I was standing in front of. She was laying on her back across her bed picking at her nails. We had been in Woodbury for only two weeks and already she was back to acting like a bratty teenager. It was obnoxious at the moment, but at the same time I was more thankful than I knew how to say. Two weeks behind the walls of Woodbury and for Kate it was like They were just a bad dream. She was Katie again.

I wished I could be the same but I couldn't forget. I had changed in order to survive and I don't know that I could go back if I wanted to. When I tried to think back on it, I couldn't really remember what I was like before. Survival was all that mattered and to be honest I was worried too much time spent behind these walls would make me soft.

We had been treated well since our arrival in Woodbury. We shared a room in the dormitories. We had our own bathroom, our own beds and three square meals a day in the large mess hall. Kate had started working  in the daycare three days ago and seemed perfectly content to live out our days in the compound. She had already made friends and if I wasn't mistaken had nearly been forced to resort to beating back the teenage boys of Woodbury with a stick. Two weeks of good nutrition and showers and she was back to her gorgeous, albeit slightly vain self.

Somehow she had managed to find makeup, I was fairly certain it was black market. She had spent the last twenty minutes forcing it and much more on me. My hair was smooth and straight, I was wearing make up and Kate had somehow found a soft, dressy, green blouse for me to wear. I grunted as I looked at myself again.

"You're wearing it." Kate said without looking up from her nails. "It brings out the color in your eyes."

I glared at her once more. I was not happy about this. I had a dinner date tonight with The Governor, excuse me, Phillip. He had been pursuing me since my arrival. From almost the first night he had tried to get me to have dinner with him, offered to give me private tours and stopped by personally to check in on us. I had managed to avert him for the most part, but today he had inquired about my dinner plans in front of Kate. Kate leaped at the chance to throw me at the leader of Woodbury.

"You act like you're going to the gallows." Kate grumbled. "Phillip is cute enough for an old guy, he's nice and thoughtful and in charge and interested in you. I don't see what the problem is."

I glowered at my little sister. "You realize he's only five to ten years older than me," I said arching a brow.

Kate giggled, "yeah, like I said...old."

I threw the hairbrush at her.

She laughed out loud and I found I would do worse than endure a potentially awkward dinner to see my sister this happy.

"Seriously though," Kate said. She climbed to her feet and came up behind me. She was several inches taller than me and could look over my head as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders and gave me a squeeze. "We could be happy here...you could be happy." She said seriously.

I arched an eyebrow and gave her a droll look.

She smiled gently. "I mean I realize he's not a sexy badass with a crossbow..." she led off.

My gaze hardened to something serious and I pulled away from her to move to my bed and slide my boots on. "Don't-" I started to say but she cut me off.