152

Hi guys! 

I'm terribly sorry for neglecting you for so long. I was out of town for the holiday and somehow forgot my laptop! It was awful! Haha anyway I hope you enjoy this update!

<><><><><>

Daryl

Jo stood in the circle of my arms. Her thin frame was trembling as she held on to me. I could feel her tears on my neck and it worried me. She never cried like this. Hardly ever in front of me and never when there was a chance someone else could see it.

"Shh," I whispered to her, running a hand up and down her back soothingly. "It's okay Darlin." I told her in a hoarse voice. But I didn't know if it was.

She was alive. We were both alive. We had made it. When I lost her in the fighting I had been sure she was gone. That she had run off on her own, willing to sacrifice herself to kill that bastard. I thought I lost her. Tears burned the backs of my eyes but I tightened my jaw against them. I was holding her too tightly, I knew I was, but I couldn't seem to stop.

She had never done this before, never let her emotions go this close to a fight. If she ever did, it was later, at home when we were alone. I buried my face in her hair and held her. She was always so strong, had always been strong, but now, in the face of all of this she felt tiny in my arms. Sometimes I forgot how small she was, how vulnerable she could be if someone ever got close to her. 

Shame burned through me as I remembered that moment back at the gate when I left her standing out there in the open. I should have pulled her back, should have made sure she was safe. It was my goddamn job. But I had risked her for a chance to kill him. I pinched my eyes shut and my stomach rolled. I could have lost her right then. I tightened my hold around her shoulders and I pressed my lips against her temple.

Her breathing gradually slowed and I could feel her taking control again. Slowly, she drew the tension back into her body. She took a deep breath and gently pulled away. I let her step back, but I didn't completely let go. I wasn't ready to just yet, not after what I had done. I kept a hand on her hip and she seemed to understand and stayed close. I caught her eyes and stared down at her, trying to decide if she was okay or not.

Her eyes were still sad but she quirked up one corner of her mouth. "I'm fine," she promised without me having to ask.

I looked down at her warily, not trusting the half smile. Her eyes were saying something else entirely. She was exhausted, not just physically but the strain of the fighting was getting to her. She needed a break, she needed to rest, she needed to get way from this bastard. I needed to give her that.

I licked my lips and took a step back towards her. Her eyes stayed locked on mine. I opened my mouth to say something, to apologize to her for what I did.

There was a flash of movement behind her and I tensed but as soon as I saw it was Carl barreling towards us I stepped back. Her entire focus had been on me, so when I stepped back, she frowned. Hurt flashed in her eyes and I knew then how raw she musta been feeling after the fight.

She was so locked onto me she didn't hear Carl. She staggered forward a step as his wiry arms locked around her in a bear hug. He lifted her up and swung her around. He was a brave kid to surprise her like that so close to a fight.