21

Daryl

The meeting was supposed to take place at noon at a farm about five miles from the prison as the crow flies. I had my doubts whether or not Jo was ready to stare The Governor in the face, but it wasn't my call. It was hers. When Rick doubled checked with her before leaving she shot him a dirty look and climbed on the back of my bike without another word. I arched a brow at Rick and bit back a smile. He just shook his head.

"We'll follow you."

I parked my bike near the grain silos. I turned it off, put my feet down and waited while Jo got off. She moved in a tight circle around the bike while I put the kickstand down and climbed off. Jo wasn't holding a weapon but her hands hung loose at her sides and her leather jacket was open. I knew she was armed to the teeth. She and Michonne had spent a good portion of the day before sparring and working with her weapons set up. They had added a spine sheath so the only weapon that was visible when her she pulled her jacket closed was her kukri knife.

I lifted my crossbow off my handlebars, tucked it into my shoulder and immediately began to sweep the area, back to back with Jo.

I heard Rick open and close the car door and glanced back at him. He gave Jo and Hershel the signal to wait. Jo lifted her gaze to me and I jerked my chin, hoping she understood to be safe and keep an eye out. She nodded grimly and turned her eyes back to the road.

I led the way jogging between the silos with my crossbow up, clearing around every corner. I scouted the place the day before but was taking no chances that this wasn't a trap. When we came around the side of the last silo I held my finger up to catch Rick's attention then pointed to the barn where they were supposed to have this meeting. I glanced back at Rick to make sure he understood. He nodded though didn't look impressed. I wasn't either. The barn was tucked back against the trees at the edge of the woods and there was an open stretch we would have to cross to get to it.

We ran to the next point of cover. I jumped lightly over a piece of rusted out piping and we came out between two of the silos and jogged across the open field. As we neared the barn, I slowed. There was a dead walker laying in our path. I stooped to get a better look at how it had been killed. I glanced up at Rick who was looking tight and tense. He pointed to the windows along the side of the barn. I nodded and headed around the side while he went in through the door.

By the time I got around to the side window and peered in Rick was standing in front of The Governor with his gun pointing at The Governor's chest. I had never wanted someone to die so badly in my life. The Governor was removing his gun belt and turned to hang it on a peg behind him. I didn't trust it but Rick seemed to have it in hand.

I circled around the outside of the barn and spotted Jo on the other side. I prowled over to her, my crossbow still up. I reached out and lightly touched her on the back of the arm so she would know it was me. She never looked at me, but she nodded. Hershel pulled the car up after circling the property. He stopped near the two of us.

"He's already in there, he just sat down with Rick." I reported. Jo jerked her head in my direction and finally caught my eye. She looked determined but in control. She knew what was at stake.

"I did't see any cars." Hershel reported, his brow furrowing in concern.

I nodded looking over the top of the car. "It don't feel right," I said grimly. "Keep it running." I told him and started to turn to make another circle of the barn.

The rumble of an engine caught our attention. "Heads up," I called, slapping the hood of the car twice.

A huge suburban came rumbling around the corner. I swung my crossbow up and had it pointed at the driver. I glanced over at Jo, her gun was already out and pointed at the passenger side. Her draw was pretty damn fast, even underneath a coat. I recognized the driver as the mexican guy from when I had been a captive at Woodbury. Andrea climbed out of the passenger seat and Milton came out of the backseat. I left the other two to Jo and kept my focus on the driver, he was the muscle.