65

I hope you enjoy this chapter. Please comment/vote as you go, I love to hear what you are all thinking as you read!

<><><><><>

Jo

I have heard many gunshots since this all started but this one held weight. I flinched as it echoed in the small hallway. I jerked back away from Tyreese who was holding my arm turning in disbelief just in time to see Beth's body collapse to the ground at Dawn's feet. I couldn't move and couldn't breathe. It was like watching Katie's body hit the ground all over again. Beth was an innocent, she couldn't die. We couldn't have failed to protect her so completely. My eyes widened as those thoughts went over me and I turned to Daryl, knowing he would not be frozen. 

He was already moving, his hand dropping back to the waistband of his pants. 

"Dare!" I yelled, lurching towards him. Adrenaline burned through me and gave me the strength to push past the pain and get down the hall. I wasn't fast enough. 

He pulled his gun and leveled it on Dawn's forehead. Dawn shook her head and pleaded and begged him to spare her. There was absolutely no hesitation when he pulled the trigger. 

I jerked back, my hand coming to my mouth. I have seen Daryl kill more times than I could count, more times than I cared to count, but I had never seen him kill someone begging him not to. 

He swung the gun to face the other officers. The other female officer jumped forward spreading her arms wide to block her officers from him. "No!" She screeched desperately. "Hold your fire! It's over!"

But the tension didn't leave Daryl's shoulders. Despite my pain and weakness I forced myself down the hallway. Tears steamed down my cheeks but I had to get to him. 

"It was just about her. Stand down!" She screamed again. 

Daryl took another step forward and I reached out, touching his shoulder. He was trembling beneath my hand. I pushed the arm that was holding the gun down. He let me. I couldn't help my eyes traveling down to Beth's broken, bloody body. I wrapped my arms around Daryl and hugged him from behind as tears choked me. 

Daryl stood rigidly in my arms as I cried into his back. He let me hold him for a only a few seconds before he pulled away from me and stepped towards Beth's body. I swayed on my feet and backed towards the wall to support myself. 

"You could stay," the female office offered in a quiet, broken voice. "We're surviving here, and it's better than out there."

I glanced towards Rick to see what his reaction would be. I knew what Daryl's response would be and that was all that mattered. We wouldn't be staying. Rick had tears in his eyes as he turned away from Beth's body. "No," his voice came out low and gravely. He looked to the people beyond the officer. "And I'm taking anyone back there who wants to leave. If you want to come with us step forward now," Rick's voice cracked over the words, but he didn't wipe away his tears. 

Rick moved like he was going to pick up Beth but Daryl shoved him aside and knelt over her. Daryl brushed her hair from her face with gentle, shaking hands. He scooped her body up into his arms and held her cradled against his chest.  The look of absolute desolation on Daryl's face had my own tears running anew. I had to look away from his pain. I stood in the hall, gripping the railing with tears running down my face as Daryl walked away with Beth in his arms. 

Rick came for me. He stepped close, a gun in one hand. "Can you walk?" he asked in a gravely voice. 

I didn't trust my own voice I just nodded without lifting my eyes from the puddle of blood on the clean white floor. I took a step back towards our group, but I swayed dangerously. Rick grabbed me, catching me before I fell. I tried to pull away from him and his arms stilled but he didn't let go of me.