155

I'm sorry it's been so long since I updated. I sort of experienced a bit of a crisis after seeing the midseason finale and needed to take some time to decide what direction I wanted to go with the story. BUT...I'm back, all is well and I sincerely hope you enjoy the update! Thank you all for your continuing support and encouragement you are the best readers ever! Happy New Year!

<><><><><>

Jo

When Daryl and I went upstairs Rick was already awake. He was leaning against the counter, piles of paper and maps spread out in front of him. He looked up when the basement door swung open. His eyes were wary as he glanced back and forth between Daryl and I. 

I walked to the cupboard and pulled down two mugs, pouring fresh steaming coffee into both of them. It seemed Rick was still willing to work through our reserves. I was less cavalier about exhausting our supply of the precious liquid, once it was gone, it was gone, but Rick was in charge. I carried the mugs over to where Daryl was standing beside Rick. He took one from me in one hand and his other hand settled onto my low back, just below my spine sheath, drawing me closer to him. 

Rick was still watching us and when I settled in beside Daryl, leaning against his arm so I could read the plans, Rick exhaled. I had gotten so caught up in just being upset with Daryl, I hadn't paused to consider how uncomfortable our fight probably made everyone else around us. Daryl and I were a team and two of Rick's strongest fighters, logistically it would be a disaster for him to plan this kind of attack if the two of us were still at each other's throats. 

"Where do you need us?" Daryl asked, curiously. 

Rick licked his lips and looked back and forth between us for a full silent minute, gauging our reactions. The tension was gone for Daryl and I, but Rick was starting to put me on edge again. I cracked my neck and slid one of the papers aside, frowning down at the plans in front of me. 

"What did-" he started to ask, and when I looked up his gaze locked on mine. 

"I'll go where ever you need me as long as I'm with either Daryl, Carol or Carl," I said firmly. 

Something that may have been amusement danced in Rick's eyes. I tightened my jaw willing him to just go along with what I said and not acknowledge the fact that I had already told him as much before Daryl and I had agreed to it. I didn't think that would go over very well with Daryl and I felt like it would set us right back up to be at one another's throats over this again. 

I took a large swig of my scolding coffee in an attempt to stop Rick from asking me anything more about it. I grimaced as the liquid burned my tongue and the back of my throat as I forced it down. An amused light shone in the bastard's eyes but he didn't say anything more about it. I met his eyes and scowled at him and he immediately dropped his gaze to the papers spread out across the granite counter top. 

"Okay," he said uncomfortably. "Um...well for today, we need to get word to Dwight and find out everything he can tell us about sentries and whatever back up plans they have in place to protect The Sanctuary." Rick slid a note across the counter towards Daryl.

My eyebrows lifted. Something like this would be risky, for both us and for Dwight. It would mean sneaking up within striking distance of The Sanctuary without getting caught and catching only Dwight's attention. If I was being honest, it sounded like fun. It had been a long time since Daryl and I got to do something like this together. It felt like lately everything we did was with the group and for the group. The prospect of spending the day out in the woods with just Daryl was more exciting than I wanted to admit.