77

Hey guys, Happy Christmas! We just reached 8,000 reads! I can't believe it. You guys are so amazing. I really hope you are continuing to enjoy the story. Please comment/vote!

<><><><><>

Daryl

So this was it. The fences and gate were just like the pictures Aaron showed us. So, so far he didn't lie. Jo was pretty convinced he wasn't a liar. He seemed like a straight up guy, but I wasn't going to trust him until he proved himself. There was a tarp covering the gate, it was good for security but I didn't like that I couldn't see what we were walking into before we knocked on the door.

We sat outside the gates in the RV and waited for Rick to decide what he wanted to do. He slowly climbed out of the car looking more tense than I ever seen him. He stopped half way out, his eyes flying over to Michonne and they both sagged in relief. He looked back at the RV and waved. The others started filing out. Rick went around to the back of the car and picked up Lil Ass Kicker. He said something to Carl across the top of the car and they both smiled. 

Rick thought it was safe enough for his family. I glanced over at Jo. I was surprised to find her watching me instead of Rick or the gate. She gave me a reassuring smile when I met her eyes, and followed the group out. Now that we were here it seemed like a risky choice. I thought about Terminus and Jo's time in Woodbury. Both of them seemed like a sure thing too. I gripped my crossbow tightly and followed her.

There were burnt out houses lining the road leading up to the gate, guess they didn't make the cut. Made me wonder how many houses were inside the community. Even from fifty feet away I could hear the laughter and voices of children playing. Everyone else was relaxed and smiling, but Rick had his gun in his hand as he led the way to the gate. Abraham and Sasha were bringing up the rear. When I glanced back at them they both had their rifles up, resting across their bodies but ready. 

The gate started to open and there was a sudden scuffle from the pile of garbage to our left. Jo whirled towards it, her hand dropping to her waist where her kukri normally was. When she wasn't able to draw it she stumbled back a step. Like her body didn't know how to respond without having her weapons where she expected them to be. I raised my crossbow and took the shot into the pile of garbage. She looked rattled as I stepped past her and bent down. The gate swung open just as I lifted the dead possum out of the weeds. The guy on gate duty looked at me with wide eyes. 

"We bought dinner," I quipped trying to make the guy not so afraid of me. Rick wanted to make this work and scaring the locals wouldn't help matters. 

Behind me Jo burst out laughing.

Everyone froze and glanced at her. Probably none of them had ever heard Jo laugh out loud like that before. Even I had only heard it a handful of times. Jo instantly quieted when no one else laughed and she noticed the others staring at her. She sobered instantly, her shoulders dropping a little. 

The guy standing in the gate had a gun up and was slowly looking over each of us. I kept one eye on him but glanced back at the rest of the group. We looked like a strong group with a few exceptions. My eyes traveled to Jo. Without her knives she was fidgeting nervously with her fingers. I was suddenly not okay with us disarming her. Out of all of us, it made her look the most like a target. Now this plan of Carol's seemed way too risky. I tightened my jaw. 

Aaron stepped forward and stood in the gate between us and the gate guy. "It's okay. Come on in guys." he said waving us all forward. We shuffled through the gate as a group. Jo was keeping close to Carol and Carl instead of being at my side like normal. It made me tense. Once we were all through the gate creaked closed behind us. I drew in a breath as I watched it latch shut. If they were going to ambush us, now would be the perfect time.