60

Jo

My heart pounded in my ears as I stared down the barrel of my rifle. Not out of fear, but anger. I had just risen out of my crouch. Had I stayed crouching I could have easily drawn a knife and taken care of this problem before Daryl came through the door. It was sloppy of me.

I heard the door move behind me. Daryl was about to step into the same trap I had just fallen into. 

"Daryl don't!" I called trying to warn him without making him panic. If Daryl thought I was really in trouble he would come  though that door regardless of what was on the other side.

"Shut up!" the young man holding my gun snapped. His shoulders were tight and his movements jerky. He handled my rifle like someone who only knew how to hold a gun from watching movies.

I risked a glance over my shoulder. Daryl was frozen halfway through the door. My warning had come too late. His shoulders were tense but he didn't look overly concerned. I clenched my teeth as I turned my eyes back to the man in front of me.

When Daryl didn't look appropriately intimidated the man pointed the rifle at me with more authority and arched a brow. Daryl looked from the rifle to me and back again. Then he slowly crawled through.

"Hands up, both of you," the guy with my gun commanded. His voice cracked over the words and I wondered how he had managed to work up the courage to trap us. He looked absolutely terrified.

Daryl climbed slowly to his feet, his eyes were deadly. He still held his crossbow, but it was down and in one hand. Daryl was fast, but not faster than this kid if he decided to shoot us.

"Put your crossbow down," The kid ordered.

Daryl shook his head and shifted his weight menacingly. I rolled my shoulders down in an effort to make myself seem smaller and weaker. It was a trick we had used many times before. Daryl all puffed up was imposing and he would draw the attention away from me. It worked. The kid swung the rifle to face Daryl. My jacket was half zipped but I would be able to draw a throwing knife if I could get my hand up without him noticing.

"You got some sack on you," Daryl growled at the kid.

The kids eyes grew wide and panicky. Not a good combination for someone who was holding a gun. "L-Look nobody has to get hurt. I just need weapons that's it," he stammered out the words and I would have felt sorry for him if he weren't pointing a gun at me. 

Daryl stared at the kid a beat longer, defiance in his eyes. I slowly lifted my hand to my waist. I rested it against my hip as though I were frustrated. It felt awkward, but I knew it would look natural to someone who didn't know me. This kid wasn't watching body language and I could lie with mine better than most.

When Daryl didn't comply the kid swung the gun back to me. He took a step towards me to show how serious he was about shooting me. I sucked in a breath, and focused. One step closer and I would be able to reach the barrel of the rifle. He had eyes only for Daryl. I tensed my muscles. I could knock the barrel straight up with my left forearm, draw one of my small knives with my right while stepping into his space. I would have to be sure I got too close for him to bring the rifle back down. If i moved fast I would be able to slam my knife into his throat before he had a chance to kill me or get the rifle pointed back at Daryl.

He arched a brow again, shifting the rifle while he waited for Daryl to make up his mind.

I wasn't afraid. Daryl and I had both been in positions worse than this. If either one of us could get a hand on that kid it would be game over. He was thin, probably didn't weight much more than I did and didn't carry much muscle. His only saving grace in this world was being fast, but I was fast too.