23

Daryl

I took my time on my way back to the prison even though I wouldn't get there until late. I walked through the forest on an indirect path. I let the sounds and scents of the forest wash over me. I listened to the wind in the leaves and the crickets and frogs and let it help me forget. Just like I used to when I was a kid. I headed in the general direction of the prison but I didn't want to follow Merle's original trail. Instead I found my own way.

I moved silently through the dark. I made it all the way to the gate before anyone noticed me including the walkers. Rick was on watch in the cage. I let out my two note whistle. His head snapped up and he jolted when he noticed me standing there. He frowned for a moment and I knew it made him uncomfortable that I was able to get so close and he hadn't seen me. Made me uncomfortable too. It was a security risk. He jogged over to the gate and jerked it open. He looked me in the face and then over my shoulder. But Merle wasn't coming. I shook my head. I was just too tired to deal with him right now.

I hefted my crossbow and made my way towards the door.

"Daryl," Rick called behind me.

I froze for half a beat, clenching my teeth. I did not want to do this right now. My emotions were all over the place. I was pissed at him because his family was here and safe behind the fences and walls while mine was at the bottom of a shallow grave on same piece of shit farm. All because of Rick's plan to appease the man who tortured Jo. I ignored him and walked into the prison.

Despite the late hour everyone was gathered in the communal area except Lil Ass Kicker and Carl. Rick followed me in and I was effectively trapped. They all looked up as the door slammed behind him. No way I was getting to the cell block without some kind of explanation. I let out a sigh and tossed my crossbow onto the closest table before I turned to face him. I was too pissed to be armed.

"Merle's dead," I said without emotion. I set my jaw and stared Rick in the eye, daring him to...I don't even know what. "He took nine of The Governor's men with him," I reported in a clipped tone.

I heard someone suck in a breath at the news. I glanced around at the group, frowning. Jo had considered herself Merle's friend. I should have been more considerate instead of blurting it out like an asshole just because I was pissed at Rick. But only Carol's worried gaze met mine. 

"Where's Jo?" I asked, my voice rasped rougher than normal and I cleared my throat. Thinking back I didn't remember seeing her up in the guard tower on the way in either.

Beth stepped forward looking frightened as a field mouse. "We haven't found her yet. Michonne said Merle said he put her somewhere safe in solitary and Maggie and I tried but-"

My eyes narrowed and I clenched my hands into fists. "Had better shit to do?" I snapped at them. Beth sucked in a breath and slinked away her eyes wide. I shook my head in disgust. I snatched up my crossbow and headed for the tombs.

"Daryl!" Rick called behind me.

I didn't answer him. I was so mad I didn't trust myself not to say something epically stupid.

"DARYL!"

I didn't stop. Merle was gone, but I still had Jo to look out for.

"Do you want any help?" Michonne's voice was much quieter in comparison to Rick's.

"No," I tossed over my shoulder without looking and kept walking. I jerked out my set of keys and unlocked the door. I glared back at them one last time before I slammed the door shut behind me.