75

I hope you enjoy this update! Please vote/comment!

<><><><><>

Daryl

When I found her she was killing the last of a small herd of walkers. She was standing in the middle of a small, white picket fenced yard with a dozen corpses at her feet. I breathed out a sigh of relief as she slashed the last walker with her kukri. It fell to the ground and she looked around for more. When there were none she sagged forward. She leaned her hands against her knees as she fought to pull in ragged breaths.

She didn't look injured but I needed to make sure. I stepped into the yard, prepared to wait for her to notice me. I scuffed my shoe loudly against the sidewalk so I wouldn't catch her by surprise. She looked up at me and there was immediate recognition in her eyes. She really was getting better. She flashed me a bright smile as she continued to pant.

"Kind of a rough night," she chuckled as she bent down and wiped her blades clean. She slid them home and ran a hand through her hair. As soon as she touched her hair she froze and brought her hand back down. She looked at it and wrinkled her nose. "I think I need a shower."

I chuckled and nodded. "You and me both darl'in."

She looked up at me with an impish gleam in her eye.

"Stop," I said laughing now and shaking my head. I felt almost giddy knowing she was okay. When she wasn't there by that asshole beneath the car I was so sure something terrible had happened. I knew-knew Jo would put herself in danger to protect the helpless man. I never should have left her in that position.

She walked around and slowly started gathering up some of her smaller blades.

"Holy cats!" a voice came from behind me on the street.

I glanced over my shoulder to see the stranger with his arm around Abraham's shoulder and Maggie behind them, her gun in her hand. They were all staring at Jo.

Jo looked up at the sound of his voice. Her smile fell and she looked around at the carnage surrounding her. I don't know if it was on purpose but her shoulders rolled forward and she shook her hair so it was shielding her face. I turned and scowled at the new guy before I stepped over the bodies. I bent over one and pulled her last knife out of it's skull. I wiped it off on the walkers clothes and stood, offering it back to her.

She nodded her thanks but she still wouldn't meet anyone's eyes.

I let my fingers touch hers as I handed back her knife. "You okay?" I asked in a low tone, so the others wouldn't hear.

She nodded again. She glanced once at the others and then scowled at her shoes.

I let out a sigh. I hated them for making her feel like that. I don't even think it was on purpose. There had been so much carefree joy on her face.

"Are you okay, Jo?" the new guy asked sincerely. He pulled away from Abraham and limped towards Jo a few steps.

I felt my eyes widen and I pulled back in surprise as I stared at the new guy. He didn't seem afraid of her, more worried about her. I was immediately suspicious.

Jo froze for a moment, as though she didn't understand, then she nodded slowly. She shook her hair back and looked the new guy in the face. "I'm good Eric, thanks."

Eric nodded though his brow was pulled down in concern.

There was an awkward silence then, and none of us seemed to know what to say.