151

Hello all! *small, slightly terrified wave. Here's the next update for you...just like I promised...

<><><><><>

Daryl

I was looking straight at Carl when that damn kid whirled around and started firing. I gritted my teeth and opened up a spray of fire at the Savior's rushing the gate. I saw Jo mouth Carl's name and knew there would be a line for the ass wooping that kid was going to get if we survived this.

Jo pulled her rifle into her hands and started firing at the Saviors as well. I was glad, sometimes when shit hit the fan she wouldn't go for her gun, her instincts were always to reach for a knife. It told me she was holding it together.

I turned my back to her, taking a step closer so our backs brushed. I started picking off the garbage people around us. They had been slower on the up take. Either they weren't as used to using guns as the Saviors or they had actually thought we were going to give in without a fight. Any one of the Saviors who had met us knew better than that.

I killed three of them and the rest fled. They weren't really fighters, just opportunistic scavengers. Like coyotes. Dangerous in a pack, but easy to scare off.

"Tara!" Jo screamed just behind me and I whirled to face her. It wasn't like her to yell, she always fought silently. I followed her gun to see Rosita was down and Jo was laying down some cover for Tara to get to her and drag her off the front line.

Jo and me stood side by side firing our guns at the Saviors. I hit a handful of them, but Jo had her gun set to semi-auto and was just firing to keep them back. Her gun clicked empty and I swore. She still had a handgun under one arm, but she didn't reach for that. She was reaching for a knife.

There was a single gunshot above us and we both turned in time to see Jadis kick a bleeding Rick off of the platform. Jo was completely focused on Jadis and I knew nothing short of a bomb would be able to distract her.

I turned back to the Saviors. They were pushing forward, continuing to fire at our people. I don't know what happened to Tobin but I was the only one shooting from the gate. I flicked my gun to semi-auto and lay down a spray. I glanced at Jo and she was reaching for another knife her whole attention on killing the betraying bitch.

I reached out and grabbed her, pulling her backwards out of the line of fire of the advancing Saviors. I doubted they would shoot her on purpose. Probably that asshole told them to spare her or some twisted shit, but I wasn't taking any chances. Everyone in this fight knew who the most dangerous person in the room was, and no matter what your boss told you, if you wanted to survive you killed the most dangerous person in the room. And that was Jo.

I had broken her focus from Jadis, but she still wasn't retreating, we had to get back and find some decent cover. I was about to wrap an arm around her and drag her back if she didn't goddamn follow. She took another step further into the open and pulled back her arm. I opened my mouth to yell at her, but then I saw she was aiming for Negan. I saw red for a moment and realized I was going to let her do it. It was dangerous and stupid and I was going to let her do it if it meant that son of a bitch was going to die. I would feel bad about it later.

I saw the gun in Simon's hand and it was like my whole world slowed down. I moved towards her but it was too late. I couldn't breathe. Simon lifted the gun and leveled it perfectly at the center of Jo's chest. I was going to be too late, I was too far away. I would have stepped in front of it, or thrown her out of the way, it didn't matter. Every pound of my heart was screaming at me to save her. But I was too far away. I was looking straight at her when I heard the gunshot.