145

<><><><><>

Daryl

I stomped out of the house swearing under my breath. She made me crazy, absolutely crazy. She had been bedridden for three days straight, could barely get herself to the bathroom and now, the first day she was up on her feet she was ready to throw herself right back into it. She really was going to get herself killed. She wasn't thinking clearly.

I had always been okay, because I knew I could trust Jo to survive. I had always trusted her to make the right decision for herself and the group. But she wasn't thinking clearly. I couldn't trust her now, and I didn't know why. I didn't know when or why that had changed. What had happened...

I stomped down the street. I didn't have a destination in mind I just had to move, to get out of that house and away from her until I shook her until she saw sense. She was so damn determined to throw herself into danger, convinced it was the right thing, she was going to get herself killed. With her as hurt as she was she wouldn't be able to get herself out of it like she normally did. 

It had something to do with Negan, I knew it did, hell, everything did. Every time she had talked to that asshole things got worse and worse. 

I wanted to go back out into the woods hunting, or stand at the wall and take a guard shift, but I couldn't. It was the middle of the day and I couldn't risk being seen. I shouldn't even be out here. I stomped around another couple of laps. 

The woman was insane, she was...

She was the most mule headed, stubborn...

I slowed sucking in a breath, and turned back towards the house as a bad feeling went over me. I should not have left her alone. I was such an idiot. I ran back towards the house. I shouldn't have left her alone. I pounded up the front stairs. I was such an idiot. I threw open the front door. 

Tara squeaked and whirled towards the door her hand dropping to the gun at her waist. She was standing at the counter feeding Little Ass Kicker and she stepped in front of her before she realized it was me. 

"Daryl," she said my name like it surprised her to see me.

I lifted a brow, inviting her to explain why she was looking at me like I shouldn't be here. 

She glanced behind me, her face pulling down in confusion. "Where's ah, Jo?" She asked a little nervously.

Maybe not today, but some day it was going to make Jo really upset when she realized just how scared Tara was of her again. Tara might not admit it but she was wringing her hands around the spoon she was holding and she licked her lips as she glanced behind me at the door again.

"She ain't with me," I told her.

The confusion on Tara's face grew and that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach grew. That woman was gonna drive me insane. I clenched my hands into fists. "She's here," I said firmly, like it would mean she was if I was sure enough about it.

Tara shook her head too quickly. "No she isn't, she left with you."

I tightened my jaw, "no, she didn't."

"Yes, she did!" Tara argued. "You left and slammed the door behind you and then she did the same. You were the only ones here-" she drew off at something she saw on my face.

I snapped into movement and ran for the stairs. I skipped whole sets as I ran down. Our bedroom was exactly like I left it this morning. The pillow and blanket were still missing. The whole rest of the basement was empty, the bathroom was dark. I ran back upstairs. The pillow and blanket were still on the couch in the living room.